Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi - I have a 2001 GS430 Sport and after charging the Battery yesterday, the bonnet won't stay closed. It looks like the bonnet release cable has either stretched or has got stuck as the release handle won't go back in place - anyone else ever come across this or got any suggestions????

Did you change the Battery? When I changed my GS430 Battery the replacement wasn't exactly the same size (even though all website sources said otherwise) so the bonnet would catch, essentially making the front of the bonnet spring up. Is that happening? If I left the clip on cover for the terminals off, it would close properly.

Hi

Yes I have this problem, the catch jams and what I do, till i fix it, is remove the catch and pull the cable (you will see what I mean when you take it off) Sometimes pushing the release catch under the dash back in helps! It's seems the cable is sticking and I intend to repair it (oneday). Greasing it may help also. Good luck.

PS sorry its not the Battery!

Thanks for your suggestions - unfortunately none of them worked, had a local mechanic to have a look at it and it transpired that a return spring the the nclosing mechanism has stretched - he is mgoing to shoten it so that it will work again - he said it woud be about a 1hr job and ite geting sorted on Monday.

Thanks for your suggestions - unfortunately none of them worked, had a local mechanic to have a look at it and it transpired that a return spring the the nclosing mechanism has stretched - he is mgoing to shoten it so that it will work again - he said it woud be about a 1hr job and ite geting sorted on Monday.

Nice to hear it's a quick fix.

Nice to hear it's a quick fix.

Lets hope it is, but i won't be holding my breath!

Fingers crossed that sorts it.

• 2 weeks later...

Ye common fault, tempereraly is you will feel the cable running under the drivers side slam panel, give the cable a tug and it goes back into postion, may have to attempt a couple of times but always works (or has for me )

• 4 months later...

Just checked the bonnet catch again whilst I thought about it, Yep the spring was OK but the cable is tending to stick. I will have to spend a bit more time on it when I can find my cable oiler. :winky:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links