Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus Ls? What Year 97 Or 98/99

Trav5149

Hi All,

I have around 2k-2.5k to spend on a new (to me) car. I've set my heart on a Lexus LS but i'm not sure what year to go for. Also what do I need to be looking for (apart from the usual 2nd hand car minefield problems) in a Lexus of this age.

Many thanks in anticipation

Hello and welcome to the LOC.

The 98 on model known as the series IV is according to general opinion the best of the LS400 series.

If you are considering a 98/99 model a common failing is the height sensor links paricularly the one at the rear offside just behind the wheel.

A full service history is good to have.

Check for knocks on the front suspension going over potholes or speed bumps indicating worn suspension components, alloy wheels will normally be scabby ( common Lexus problem).

Check the exhaust system for blowing especially at the front end where gasket and flange failure is common.

Mileage is not such an issue if there is a service history but make sure it is all genuine and make sure the cambelt has been replaced at the correct time/mileage. If the cambelt is coming up for replacement it is a £600-800 job on average unless you are a confident DIYer and some people will sell the car rather than pay the cost.

Make sure all the toys work and all warning lights come on and go off when they should (ABS for example)

Check the tyres for good quality branding and if they are all matched at least on the same axle.

Look for one with low ownership, if it has had 3-4 owners over the last couple of years ask yourself why, people who buy a decent LS tend to keep them for a long while.

Don't but the 1st one you see there are plenty out in the market and you can always come back later they are a big car so demand is not high.

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers for the advice steve, finally dropped on a vgood 1998 for £1600, after seeing quite a few that shouldn't be allowed to wear the Lexus badge. Utter Utter garbage, why do people think that cleaning the car means its in mint condition (when the cleaning job is a quick once over at the hand wash) I've had quite a few cars & paid lots for them in the past, but no more, must say this is the best one I have ever owned, and its 2nd hand fiesta money???? Its still sinking in.........can't believe it, Pinch me.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links