Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi guys,

Just looking for some advice as I am a total noob when it comes to Lexus.

I have been looking for a new car for some time, and being a BMW enthusiast/driver for many years, I have been looking for the right E60 5 series, (525d or 530d auto), which I still have not found. Being totally honest, I am not a big fan of the E60 5 series shape, and let's face it - they are everywhere, so that got me thinking about what else looks pretty cool.

I remember seeing a 2008 GS in the car park at work a few months back, and thought to myself that it looked great - I love the rear of the car. Also, I hardly see any on the road, (which is good!).

Anyway, my annual mileage is around 5000 miles per year, which is pretty low, but I still prefer diesel cars. 99% of my driving is done in the city (urban).

What I want to know is what sort of mpg could I expect from a GS450h in the city environment. I understand that the electric motor runs until you reach 40MPH, which sounds ideal for city driving, (less than 40MPH), so I presume that no/very little fuel is used for the electric motor when in use? I am hoping that the GS450h would be the ideal car for my situation, (low annual mileage, with mostly city driving).

What I am concerned about is the 3.5 litre petrol engine, as I imagine that it would just drink petrol...?

My E90 330i I had a couple of years ago had terrible MPG.

Any other tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks

Raj ;)

EDIT: Oops, just realised I put 430h instead of 450h in the title!

Edited by TonyGoose
Fixed title as suggested. TG

As for m.p.g I don’t do a lot of motorway driving my self, but on the occasions I have, I got around 38m.p.g using cruse control at 75ish.

What you have to remember is although your driving a hybrid, the hybrid part of the system only comes into play at less then 40 mph, anything over that speed you are just using the 3.5 ltr engine, so the motorway mpg is not as good as you may expect, on the other hand I get around 30mpg around town, only mainly doing short 6 mile journeys, witch I think is pretty good.

Book your self a test drive in one, ill be very surprised if you not a 450h owner soon.

If your looking to buy one in the next couple of month’s, my 450h will be available in June, fantastic condition with only 17k miles. Full details on in the Lexus classified section on this site. :)

To be perfectly frank, with your limited mileage you should consider less the vehicles mpg and more the car itself.

I drive around 20-25,000 miles a year.

The only problem I have is that I keep picking up the Lexus keys, even though the car only delivers half the mpg of the Saab I also have.

The Saab may have cost £26,000 new, but it in no way delivers the comfort, opulence and individuality that the Lexus delivers.

If I had room and a lot of spare cash, I would also purchase an LS, GS and RX in that order. So yes, I have been impressed by the Lexus, which is why I wish to experience more!

For your own piece of mind do the following.

Compile a census of the vehicles that travel along a main road in your area.

List all the BMW's that pass (if you have room on your sheet), then add any Lexus vehicles that drive by (hopefully there will be more than one).

Then more importantly test drive the vehicles concerned.

It is only this way, you will know how rare and more importantly how beautifully these vehicles are.

If I was to ask a question, perhaps it would be - which Lexus should I purchase!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links