Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Check Engine/vsc = Throttle Body Sensor

Hi guys , when driving to the airport for my holidays with my partner and kids , after about an hour and a half ping check engine check vsc, So i stopped the car restarted and set off again fifteen minutes later ping, after 3 more attempts i gave up and called the AA and my mechanic, both said has to be put on the commuter.

Anyway i set off to Lanzarote and the LS400 back to the mechanic, The diagnostics came back as Throttle body sensor , the mechanic told me it was covered in gunk but did not think it would need replacing , all ok then.

But i wonder because i used a fuel and cat cleaner in the tank that week it should have cleaned most if not all of this gunk away, next on start up the car revs at 1000 rpm did nt do this a few weeks ago.

So any ideas ,and can any one recommend a cheapis diagnostic unit for the LS, as i could have fixed this at the road side. tank guys and girls.

Fuel and cat cleaner would have had no effect on the throttle body as the cleaners only work within the fuel system and the throttle body/sensor is located in the air intake system so the two are separate.

Question is has the car been OK since the mechanic looked at the problem?

On a cold start up the RPM is normally 1000-1200 so this would seem normal, fully warmed up the tickover should be around 650rpm.

Fuel and cat cleaner would have had no effect on the throttle body as the cleaners only work within the fuel system and the throttle body/sensor is located in the air intake system so the two are separate.

Question is has the car been OK since the mechanic looked at the problem?

On a cold start up the RPM is normally 1000-1200 so this would seem normal, fully warmed up the tickover should be around 650rpm.

would cleaning the throttle body be recommended at every service.And car seem good otherwise

the throttle body butterfly sticking is a well know issue with the LS , a good clean every 100,000 miles is all they need.

crap seems to accumelate around and behind the butterfly making it stick.

a good clean and lube before spending money on it.

throttle position sensors do fail :( .

Also the idle/cruise control if sticking can make similar errors (the ecu misintupreting the problem) , but best leave that idea for last as you don't want that.

Easy enough to clean it yourself if you're that way inclined, it's only a few bolts to remove the air intake system and associated bits. An alcohol-soaked rag around the butterfly and job's a good 'un. Be careful not to drop anything into the intake :)

As per previous posts, the throttle body is dead easy to clean, I took mine off completely which made it a doddle to clean, whole job took only an hour and most of that was the cleaning. Remember to get a new gasket, my local toyota dealer ordered one in for me and it only cost about £3. I no longer have the stalling after coming off a motorway run problem, ahhh tis bliss :o)

Thanks guys its been out all day without a problem, its the fact that if i knew it was this when on the motorway i would have fixed it myself, rather than sitting in the car with ****** of missus and kids for over an hour waiting for a AA contractor with no diagnostic equipment. the funny bit was that about six or seven Lexus cars past with a bewildered look on there face.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links