Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Short Number Plates - Legal Or Not?

Short number plates that have all of the correct font sizes and carry all of the correct marking, are they legal or not?

I have been batting emails back and fourth with the DVLA and the police and even they cannot give me a definitive answer. Does anybody have a set or short number plates and had any trouble with the police for them?

The reason I ask is because I now have a 4 digit number plate and I am thinking of having some made from a store on eBay that claims they are legal.

If you look at the likes of jaguar that have different shaped number plates albeit much larger, what is the difference if it was shorter?

Thanks,

Andy

As long as the font of letters and numbers are correct and size correct and you have a minimum of 11mm of yellow/white backing around them it's legal the is no set length of plates just font and height.....been there before with police and proved them wrong

Just make sure you have the safety mark and plate manufactures name on it and thes no loop hole for prosecution

The following is from the Directgov-Motoring website and gives no requirement for the actual size of the plate. Also worth noting that italics and honeycomb type characters are not allowed.

Your number plate should show the correct:

• character height - 79 millimetres
  • character width - 50 millimetres (except the figure 1 or letter I)
  • character stroke - 14 millimetres
  • space between characters - 11 millimetres
  • space between groups - 33 millimetres
  • top, bottom and side margins - minimum 11 millimetres
  • space between vertical lines - 19 millimetres

Legal or not, why attract attention from the boys in blue?

I'm sure both posts above are correct, but once they have pulled you they won't want to lose face, and then you'd better be 100% sure that your car and driving is perfect in every other respect.

I got pulled for similar offence over plates 2hrs later they let me on my way after arguing over legality of them and numerous radio checks plus they done a full check on me and car. Noticed I had underneath neons( boy racer days with mr2 show car) and asked to see them on I said I couldn't as were only for show purposes and wer disconnected...they then tried to say they where going to charge me with having lights fitted that didn't work. Eh ...basically I'd drawn attention to myself with plates and proved them wrong over legality and they where determined to get me for something. But didn't

• 1 month later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links