Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Resetting Computers Ls400

After having no success with the 'wire dance' to reset my air bag light I found a topic on an American Lexus site advising someone to disconnect both Battery terminals and clamp them together for at least 10 minutes, this (they said) resets all the computers and clears the fault codes.

Whilst it will do no harm, and before I waste time doing it, has anyone done this with good results?

Hello and welcome to the LOC.

I've never heard of that method before and cannot see how doing so would reset all the ECUs, disconnecting the Battery will reset certain ones but not all including the airbag.

The airbag reset proceedure is a bit hit and miss and can take many attempts to get the timing correct, I made up a switch to do the job on mine and it worked with just 2 attempts so have another go.

You don't say what year LS you have but the wire dance is only for the 1990- Oct 1994 models.

Just thought why did your airbag warning light come on? As you probably already know removing the dash and then turning on the ignition will produce the warning light but if this was not the cause there may be another reason why it hasn't gone out after the wire dance.

You can however pull the ABS diagnostic codes.

Mine is a '93 LS400. The light is on due to getting the cluster out, although the keys were in the ignition to keep the column down we did NOT switch it, even to the acc position. I am taking advantage of an M.O.T station who told me yesterday that airbag light on is not a failure, although we know it actually is. I have the usual panel light problem and successfully got the needles illuminated and the fuel gauge operating again the final bit looks very likely to be beyond the limited equipment I have here. eBay or breakers is likely but with a the grace of 12 month ticket. I made up a small box with green lights fitted in it that is velcro attached to the bottom of the shroud, shining light on the speedometer, it doesn't look too out of place and can be switched off when the panel lights stop playing silly games and eventually decide to do a bit of work

Also the bridging of the Battery terminals didn't work at all, could be due to differences between U.K and U.S specs, I found the information on one of the American sites. Or it could have more to do with the majority of people over there being insane.

As steve2006 says have another go at the 'wire dance', I had several attempts

before I hit the sequence right.

They are not all daft in the USA! The fix for blacked out dash in cold weather

was on their LOC first!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links