Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Latest Rear Light Clusters On Gs Mk2

Has anyone sucessfully installed the newer "glob of red" GS MK2 light clusters on their GS MK2? Mine are the earlier ones as my car's 1998. I've seen a USA shop site that claims its easy to do but rather beleive someone who has done it.

How lond did it take? How easy was it? Do you need any extra bits?

Dude,

Not tried this but they are a nicer lookng unit. heard there are quite dear though? got any idea on price ( cue Mr Shipley)??

I did also hear that they swap with no fuss. Feeling a group buy coming on.... :winky:

Loz :zee:

PS. DUDE Great thinking with the chrome grill. I feel a little doctoring coming on... maybe in tme for jae... :P

wonder what satin black would look like on a saphire blue GS.. :question:

maybe I'll just redo it gunmetal... :duh:

Loz

Haven't tried this but I do know that Toyota/Lexus try and make it difficult for people to upgrade parts to make their cars look like newer models. You may find the wiring connector is slightly different or something.

I think the newer instrument cluster surround requires some modifications before it will fit a pre 2000 model, as does the chrome gearshift trim.

Normally people manage to get items to fit it just takes a little longer than a direct replacement.

May be worth asking people at www.clublexus.com.

On the subject of the chrome grill

You can make the grill look like the later GS by removing the paint finish on the slats

I did this to my previous 2000 GS by careful use of paint stripper and wire wool - It's actually a chrome finish under that paint!

I found how to do this on one of the USA sites

The effect was first class if I say so myself - I never liked the paint finish - and I would think the chrome would set off a darker paint job.

Took me about an hour to complete

PS. DUDE Great thinking with the chrome grill. I feel a little doctoring coming on... maybe in tme for jae... :P

wonder what satin black would look like on a saphire blue GS.. :question:

maybe I'll just redo it gunmetal... :duh:

Loz

Lexus Stockport parts quoted about £270 I don't recall if that inc'd VAT. That's without discount.

Chrome grill - it took me sevaral nights of pure elbowgrease and breathing really bad fumes (had to start wearing a mask) and several melted toothbrushes to do my grill. The strippers the USA guys use aren't availible here. I tried several but although my grill looks dapper from 1 metre away or more, close up its still a bit of a mess.

And the reason the chrome is under tha black is that if Lexus want to make a black and chrome item in plastic its lots easier to manufature chrome and coat it in matt black texture than manufacture black and "coat" in chrome. Also if anyone didnt know, the side decals around the rear side windos are all chrome underneath too if you want to risk stripping em. You can also see pics on www.lexusgrill.com if I recall correctly. Although the guy is not offering very fair prices and honest info on that site.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links