Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

A 160 Year Old Oil

Hi guys..I currently run my car on Castrol Magnatec 5W-30 A1 but thinking of swItching to Motul Eco-nergy 5W-30.

Motul has been in the oil industry for almost 160 years and was the first company in the world to develop semi-sythetic oil and first to also develop 100% Synthetic engine Oils. They have partnerships and development relationships with Nissan GTR, Nissan, Suzuki, Yamaha, Subaru, Honda so this tells me they must be good as the Japanese really take a liking to them. has anyone used Motul Oils and how does it perform against premiums like Mobil, Castrol, Shell??

When I had my Toyota's I always used Mobil1 found out the engines worked with a sweet sound.

However I know that Toyota dealers used to use all the time Castrol ... I have no clue what they use now.

At the end of the day all oils are the same as long as they are changed in good intervals etc and them being fully synthetic.

However I never used Motul I must admit.

When I had my Toyota's I always used Mobil1 found out the engines worked with a sweet sound.

However I know that Toyota dealers used to use all the time Castrol ... I have no clue what they use now.

At the end of the day all oils are the same as long as they are changed in good intervals etc and them being fully synthetic.

Yeh don't know about all oils being the same, some bright spark put Penzoil in my vintage RR once, the thing never drove or sounded as good and leaked oil. I drained it and put in Castrol Magnitec and WOW what a difference. I agree with changing the oil more as they get older, I use to do my RR every 3 months filter and oil.

If you have more money than sense then go for it....It'll make your IS go faster than an M5 too...... I know it's true 'cos I read it on the internet....

Transpoter let this M5 v IS300 die out mate!! all i have to do to get IS300 to the level of performance of an M5, RS6 is spend around £5000 on an HKS Turbo kit and presto :shifty: 350 horses at my rear wheels equating to 420bhp at the crank with less weight advantage . So am not daft to think Motul will make the car faster cus am currently happy with the speed and the way it drives and more over am done with tuning engines as i did that to my previous cars so i leave them standard now. This was more for if anyone had used Motul and how The Toyota engine reacted i.e did it made it more noiser than normall, was the engine drinking too much oil after using it, was the car performing smoothly, was it picking up good etc... so def not about gaining on an M5 a blower will sort that disadvantage out for me. Nothing wrong with my Castrol am just curios and basing this on Motul being the pioneers of developing semi and 100% synthetic oils.

I love this.... Is one 5w30 synth better than another 5w30 synth?...... Errm let me see now.......

You wouldn't even be able to tell if the oil was semi synth....99% of folk don't even know what the difference is and why one is better than the other..... Or even if your car needs fully synth...

As has been already stated, as long as you change your oil and filter at regular service intervals, then the stuff from your local motor factor is perfect...

A bigger factor of making your engine last longer is the type of driving that you do, the number of cold starts, letting the enging warm before you give it some beans rather than buying oil with a fancy name and lots of advertising

I love this.... Is one 5w30 synth better than another 5w30 synth?...... Errm let me see now.......

You wouldn't even be able to tell if the oil was semi synth....99% of folk don't even know what the difference is and why one is better than the other..... Or even if your car needs fully synth...

As has been already stated, as long as you change your oil and filter at regular service intervals, then the stuff from your local motor factor is perfect...

A bigger factor of making your engine last longer is the type of driving that you do, the number of cold starts, letting the enging warm before you give it some beans rather than buying oil with a fancy name and lots of advertising

am not one of those suckers who buy something because of brand name I do my own research into a product before i spend my hard earned cash on it. and I know all 5w-30 oils will meet the industry standard. but the advantage lies in some meeting and exceeding or containing extra additives for Longer drain intervals i.e 10 -15,000 miles before changing ones with a high HTHS(high temperature high shear) or a low HTHS. so even though all 5w-30's will meet industry standards is these smaller things which can differentiate them. e.g. in my old ford Cougar V6, i switched from Mobil 3000 5W-30 to fords own Genuine Formula F 5W30 and my car drunk more fuel and sounded noisier. I went back to Mobil 3000 after 10,000 miles and I couldnt hear my engine after I moved off from the garage stopped at a round about and thought my car had stalled cus it was soo smooth and quiet. so it really depends on the individual i personally will spend £40 on an oil which will last 10,000 miles than £25 on an oil i'll have to replace after 5,000 miles will let you do the math on this one.

The purpose of long life oils is to satisfy the tree huggers...Less oil changes are good.. Yes? Well yes, good for the manufacturers because once the car is out of warranty then the sooner the vehicle is scrapped the better.... In theory, my van is supposed to go up to 18k between oil changes but all of my peers who have stuck to this regime with a long life oil are now having problems.... in fact they all now have newer vans than I have 'cos the engines were shagged at barely 150k and they have had to buy new vans... I use the standard life oil and change the oil at 10k.....The oil that I use isn't half the price of the long life and I'm changing almost twice as often but I don't need to shell out £26k for a new van yet... Now you do the maths. The added benefits of shorter service intervals are that you get to check the brake discs and pads more often so you get more wear out of these and other components which would otherwise have to be changed to make it to the next 18k service..

Long life oils are only good for vehicles on contract under 3 years old, stick to decent quality servicing and your engine will last longer than you will (Judging by the way that you say that you drive).

I already know all this so none of your posts are helpful to me and not an amatuer when it comes to cars tho am not a mechanic I know a bit about them! if you read my post again it was about Motul and who had used and what they thought of it. ! oh and I do work hard so wont be breaking a finger nail and coming from a clean no points drivers licence, i would describe my driving as the gentle not looking for trouble kinda guy but puts idiots in thier place when it calls for it.

refrain from spamming this thread if you havent got anything productive relating to Motul. check the signature one more time :hehe: clocked110 on sunday not bad for a 300 huh would love to see your 200 clock the millions..

why do something if you can have it done for you! and guess what IS300 can be driven just like a manual but the best part is you wont have to clutch down to grab the next gear how cool is that huh!!

Automatic transmissions are for fat Yanks, the disabled and the terminally baffled.... A decent driver can drive a manual as smoothly as an automatic and the gear change will be precisely when the driver wants it... And none of the losses of the slushy torque converter

tell that to an ISF or GTR driver for that matter. sshh dont tell anyone but let me school you on the 300!! it has a manumatic (E-shift) and not just automatic as you keep saying.so gives it both manual and automatic but the advantage is not having to clutch down to grab the next gear in manual mode in a nut shell its best of both worlds cus I can drive it like a manual and control the highest gear i want when in performance mood and can flick over for the ecu to work out the shifts when driving in London congestion for a relaxed mood.. cool huh!!

But you still don't get away from that torque converter and all of its losses..... As I said, ideal for the terminally baffled. Had a 300 a while ago, very nice but not for me, I prefer to drive a car, not point and squirt.... though If I had the time I would like to fit a six speed to a 300, that would be fun

I can't be arsed to have a look in wiki but I guess that the ISF and the like have electically or hydraulically operated clutches, a bit like the VW DSG system.... Fantastic when they work but more difficult for a DIY mechanic to repair and in reallity designed to bend the customer over when they break or need service. I like cars that I can fix myself...I don't think that I have ever paid a mechanic to repair any vehicle that I have owned..... I am shocked at the number of people who have no idea how to even change brake pads or timing belts these days...

as the old saying goes you cannot and i mean cannot shift as quickly no matter how the human tries as smooth, as fast ,as accurate, and as consistent as a good automatic transmission. each man for thier own at the end of the day drove manual cars and wanted something different but transmission is not the main topic of this thread its do with with Motul. so i guess i'll be the first on this forum to try it on my next service and update you guys. am also shocked at people who cannot write computer programs these days :zee: . common sense should tell you not eveyone is a mechanic same as not everyone is a computer programmer.

Hi guys..I currently run my car on Castrol Magnatec 5W-30 A1 but thinking of swItching to Motul Eco-nergy 5W-30.

Motul has been in the oil industry for almost 160 years and was the first company in the world to develop semi-sythetic oil and first to also develop 100% Synthetic engine Oils. They have partnerships and development relationships with Nissan GTR, Nissan, Suzuki, Yamaha, Subaru, Honda so this tells me they must be good as the Japanese really take a liking to them. has anyone used Motul Oils and how does it perform against premiums like Mobil, Castrol, Shell??

Bringing this thread back on topic. Engine oil crops up a lot on car forums and you will always find that one person will prefer one make over another.

Now I've never used Motul oils in my Lexus, I use Fuchs Titan Race Pro S (formerly known as Silkolene Pro S) & I'm happy to say I've never had any issues with it.

Now it sounds like you've done your homework & so far it appears no one else has tried it. Therefore when you come to change your oil swap it for the Motul Eco-nergy 5W-30, but come back onto the forums, let us know how you got on & if you noticed any improvement on performance.

Bringing this thread back on topic. Engine oil crops up a lot on car forums and you will always find that one person will prefer one make over another.

Now I've never used Motul oils in my Lexus, I use Fuchs Titan Race Pro S (formerly known as Silkolene Pro S) & I'm happy to say I've never had any issues with it.

Now it sounds like you've done your homework & so far it appears no one else has tried it. Therefore when you come to change your oil swap it for the Motul Eco-nergy 5W-30, but come back onto the forums, let us know how you got on & if you noticed any improvement on performance.

I have read a few posts about Fuchs Titan aswell and they meant to be good oils.

Thanks for your input guys will keep you updated after trying it out!! excluding..well we all know the main highjacker of this thread.

Automatic transmissions are for fat Yanks, the disabled and the terminally baffled.... A decent driver can drive a manual as smoothly as an automatic and the gear change will be precisely when the driver wants it... And none of the losses of the slushy torque converter

A very general statement. and wrong you are entitled to your opinion but it is without any basis in fact

A very general statement. and wrong you are entitled to your opinion but it is without any basis in fact

Really? Which bit?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links