Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Engine "hunting"

kenfoxy

If I pull away with minimum revs, the engine "hunts" for a while. The rest of the time the car drives perfectly. It has always done it to some extent but it seems worse now. Has anybody got any ideas?

I clean the carb on mine with a carb cleaning spray from Halfords - not had an issue with it in the 3 years i have used it - nothing promped me to use it, i just wanted to make sure car was running ok. I did note however that after use (on each occasion) that the engine management light came on - i was told that this would go out within a few hours when the spray evaporated away from the sensor in the carb and it did. I just sprayed the aerosol into the body and wiped around the rest.

Its a 10 minute job that will help to narrow down the problem and also clean out the carb body but be careful if using wipes not to drop any into it.

I had the hunting problem on an Astra i had and found it was the airfilter along with the air mass meter that had blown (so i was told) - i replaced the filter and as above cleaned the card out and it was fine after that. Not saying the Lex is the same as the Astra but it could be a cure?

• 3 weeks later...

At the time of starting this thread, I had Forte Gas Treatment in the tank. Since then I have refilled the tank and added another dose. The car now runs fine so I will keep a watching brief before doing the carb clean.

I bought mine new in 2001. At the time, the only fashionable colours were black and silver. These days ppls taste has opened up and aztec fire is more favourable.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links