Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

And there's a 340,000-miler on Autotrader. That sort of mileage would scare me off, but if I could afford to take a chance, it would be fun to see how well it ran, and how little (or much) it cost to keep going.

• 5 weeks later...

I have a 2002 LS430 (from new) that has just rolled over 200K (LPG conversion at 125K) and it runs like a dream - bear in mind however good the engine is brake callipers, radiator and other mechanical parts (suspension etc) suffer normal wear and are not cheap to replace. The front parking sensors often fail and are expensive (this drives me mad). I had to replace a Lambda sensor recently and the warning light has come back on - I hope it is another sensor and not a "cat" problem. I looked underneath and the exhaust looks horrible but then it has done 200K.

I have had fun recently with a "mystery" water leak - no fluid on the floor and no sign of a leak but the reserve tank always drops to below the line and stays put. An experienced mechanic told me this was normal :) I have put a new cap on to make sure. Another problem after a lot of miles is the power steering fluid pipe cooling loop that runs in front of the rad will corrode and leak. A new part is £220 and a lot of labour - a hacksaw and a jubille clip sorted that out :)

You may think I am moaning but I am not - 10 years and 200K miles - the car is awesome and I could not imagine what I would replace it with. It could do with a new drivers seat because it has had a big lump sitting in it for 10.5 years. An old Lexus is great if you know what you are getting in to.

Brendan (Big LPG fan)

I know what you mean, Brendan. After 14.5 years my Lex is coming up to 146,000 miles but I know it really well. Anything else affordable (not that I want to replace it) would still be several years old and have a high mileage - so what would be the point?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links