Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Hello All, May Be Coming Back To Lexus Ownership!

Hi all!

Haven't been around here for a while, but generally stayed around the sister site - Toyota Owners club. I had a Prius until recently but sold it to clear finance etc. Currently running round in a Honda CRV which I picked up cheap.

I'd like to stay fairly cheap, like under £2000 and obviously want an IS200 hence posting in this forum. I don't entirely know why, but I've always wanted one.

I've had a look at the buyers guide and there doesn't seem too much to worry about. Anyone against high mileage examples? I'll most likely be going down that route to keep purchase costs down. My GS300 had plenty over 100k on the clock and ran like it had only done 50k.

And if anybody knows of any nice ones going in the midlands for that sort of money then please point them out.

Thanks for any replies in advance.

This blue and silver one is worth a look. both are based in west midlands and within your budget maybe a little bit more but theres room for negotiating. my IS is silver but for some reason blue ones really do look good when the sun is out and they have been valeted. looks like they have some glitter powder in thier paint work.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201222473851371/sort/default/usedcars/price-from/1000/maximum-age/up_to_10_years_old/body-type/saloon/price-to/3000/model/is/make/lexus/onesearchad/used/onesearchad/nearlynew/onesearchad/new/page/1/postcode/b185jh/radius/30?logcode=p

http://www.autotrade...age/1?logcode=p

this black one looks good with FSH and full leather but slightly above budget. if you can stretch it...

http://www.autotrade...us/30?logcode=p

That black one looks nice. I do agree about the blue though, that would probably be my first colour choice. I quite like that odd red/ gold sort of colour too, because it's a little different.

Have to be honest though, I'm aiming more at around £1500. Bottom rung of the ladder I know, but there seems to be quite a lot around in that price bracket. It's either that or an Avensis. The Avensis is more practical and economical, and I've had one before so know all of their short comings. However, my heart just keeps going toward the Lexus.

I don't care if the CD player works or not as I'll probably fit an aux in or ipod adapter. I guess they're easy enough to get hold of.

I would say with that budget have a look at some BCA auction centres ... as they have a few IS's usually going through.

Some 2000 X models with fairly low mileage (80 odd 000) do go for around £1100 plus auction fees.

or eBay this looks nice http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2003-LEXUS-IS200-SPORT-BLUE-low-mileage-/120961581216?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item1c29df40a0

I would say with that budget have a look at some BCA auction centres ... as they have a few IS's usually going through.

Some 2000 X models with fairly low mileage (80 odd 000) do go for around £1100 plus auction fees.

or eBay this looks nice http://www.ebay.co.u...=item1c29df40a0

That is a nice looking IS same as mine in Silver with the Aero Kit and 18" alloys those ones are rear and i like the beige leather aswell. for £1500 budget you will get some good examples but most of them will need some form of job to be carried out i.e. cambelt service, some wont have full service histroy or tax so I would hold off and source another £1000 to add to that cus the good example ones are from £2000 upwards and they wont need a lot of work done to them. i.e tax, mot, full service etc.. so take your time

Thanks for the replies so far folks. Spending more than 2 grand isn't really going to happen as its not really the point for us. I've just done a lot of work to our Honda so we're in no immediate rush to get one. Will just wait for the right one to come around if an Avensis doesnt come round first.

I'm not too scared of a car with missing service history. I just don't like cars that are a lie, such as with 80k on the clock but that have obviously done twice that. Have seen a few of those.

I got my mrs IS200 from Autotrader on "Y" plate, 120k on the clock, missing some service history for £1500 2 years ago.

The car now has over 150k and hasn't missed a beat in two years. Only problem.... The infamous sticking brake calliper.

I paid £3k for my "Y" reg 200 sport, mint condition, 80k, FSH, 5 months ago and it hasn't missed a beat either except for sticking calliper! These cars are pretty much bomb proof so you'd be unlucky to get a bad one whatever you pay!

These cars are pretty much bomb proof so you'd be unlucky to get a bad one whatever you pay!

That's why people say the gen1 IS's were better engineered than the Gen2's am still waiting to hear my 10 yr old dashboard squeak and creak when driving...mileage is nothing so long as its mechanically sound drives ok and not leaking any fluids. the rest will just be cosmetics due to age. I think Lexus was aiming for 20yr service life with the engines and chassis on these Gen1 IS's but fear they now going down the money grabbing route of Audi, Merc and BMW and not so much on engineering anymore.

There are plenty of nice examples around for that price but its just a case of waiting for the right one. I managed to find mine with just 36k on and one owner, cant really beat that and it had full lexus service history for a fairly good price at the time. Dont mind paying the money if its been well looked after and looks nice

May go and have a drive in one today and see what I think. I'm less impressed with the fuel consumption though, seems quite bad for a 2.0. My BMW 520 automatic would do 40mpg on a run.

Speaking of autos. On the honest John website it mentions ECU failures and causing rough shifting leading to damage. What's that all about? I'd prefer an auto if I'm honest.

My BMW 520 automatic would do 40mpg on a run.

40mpg on an a 2.0 six cylinder automatic car which weighed almost 1500kg? come on now are you sure it did not have an lpg tank in the boot or was not wearing a d badge after the numbers 520?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links