Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

2006 220D ''bag Of Nails'' Noise Coming From Engine Wh

hi,i had a test ride of 220 d 2006 model few day ago,and heard some strange noise coming from engine while pressing the excelerator? sounds like ''bag of nails''? when u drive it easy cant hear it only when pulling,high speed? help guys...

Walk away. Could be engine, turbo, a bearing somewhere. You don't need it, don't get it.

There are plenty out there to sample. Never be in a rush..... ever.

My engine is barely audible ( from inside the cab) at all speeds. On a m-way at speed you would not know it was a diesel.

all i know is that current owner change Turbo ''pipe'' hose? last year which cost him £85,and there is no lack of power,car seams to ''go'' as normal 177bhp car... dont know what to do i suppose to collect the car in two day time,mileage is 59 with full Lexus history,dont u think Lexus guys would not picked that up on last service at 50?

all i know is that current owner change Turbo ''pipe'' hose? last year which cost him £85,and there is no lack of power,car seams to ''go'' as normal 177bhp car... dont know what to do i suppose to collect the car in two day time,mileage is 59 with full Lexus history,dont u think Lexus guys would not picked that up on last service at 50?

9000 miles since Lexus last saw it. Something could have happened in that time. Also your being sold a car 1000 miles before the monster 60k service which at Lexus is about £600 I'm told and that's before they find anything wrong with it.

So you "test" drove the car, you felt uncomfortable with strange rattling engine noises and then you committed to buy it?

You have already been advised what to do which involves your feet and making a quick exit, a polite no thank you would have been the answer or you could have used the proverbial "I'll have to think about it"

monster service? that means they gonna change half of the engine?even if most of the parts r still good... i thought car maintained in Lexus with Lexus parts dont get to that ''monster service'' point:)

or,once u leave your car in Lexus Dealer for service,u have to be ready to pay stupid amount of money only cause u have a Lexus badge on BONNET? im confused...on 60k Service,what do they normally do?check?change?

I don't have a 220d. All I know is my brother in law has one and he had the 60k service and it was £600. New brake discs were needed so he ended up paying over £750.

I don't know what they change on a service prob everything. But then again I'm not buying one. But if I was I might have looked into the servicing schedule and see how much parts costs etc.

Also I'd look into the reputation of the model, not just the badge. Look up some posts on here regarding IS220 head gasket. Doesn't make pretty reading.

ok got it,dont u think they take your money for nothing? what i mean is,i will buy all the relevant parts(lexus parts) that should be change at 60k and my local garage will fit those parts for 1/4 the Lexus price? i will keep all the bills and reciepts for the future reference and next buyer...but i will not have an Lexus stamp:) in service book if i decide to do so...

I recently had my lexus 220d serviced at my local Lexus dealer.

Yes, the service is often quoted to cost £600 but soon as you question the high price as I did it drops to about £430 which I think is quite reasonable for a main dealer service.

My Lexus needed no expensive extras and still looks and runs like new.

Choose a well looked after car with good history and you will be fine.

It's no dearer to run than most other diesel cars of similar pedigree.

I have a BMW 330d and it is probably more expensive to maintain.

There have been many subjects about the 220d.

It has a rather agricultural gearbox, and six gear that is only used after 80mph and the diesel engine on tickover is not the quietest but that said it is smooth once rolling.

I have driven most brands and I think the lexus has by far the best comfort of any brand.

Hi Lexus-pro

What you described sounds like valves not being adjusted properly and touching the pistons slightly. From your description, I'd say we are talking about tiniest fractions of a millimetre or something like that, but nevertheless it's a serious issue. The valves are self-adjusting and it should never normally happen.

They are oil pressure regulated and it could be that there was not enough oil in the engine, or the oil was to thick so it couldn't reach the top of the engine where the valves are. That kind of sound can sometimes be heard if you try to rev the engine just after starting it in very cold weather (not recommended). :) That's the best case scenario, but it's still not very good.

Or, it could be that the head gasket has been replaced, but someone did a poor job putting the engine back together. There are five different thicknesses of the gasket, and if a wrong one was used, there you go. If the head has been resurfaced it could also be the thing causing the sound. That's because resurfacing means taking off a bit of the surface, making the head just a little bit thinner (again tiny fractions of a millimetre) and since everything is made to the tightest possible fit inside the engine, that could make the difference and cause the piston head to touch the valves and make the sound.

The timing of the valves could also be off, but you'd probably hear it in idle too, or at lower revs most probably and the car wouldn't run well. Also, that is extremely unlikely to happen by itself. It usually means the timing chain has not been put back properly.

So, I'd say there has been some serious work done on the car, but probably not the the highest of the standards, but more importantly to you, it won't go away by itself and you could end up with a lot of serious repairs on your hands (unless it's the oil thing) should you decide to buy the car. You could always ask the seller to sort it out before you buy, but I'd recommend you find a different car altogether.

And please be aware that it should be very quiet and vibration free at any speed, and idle too. If there is any music playing, I sometimes have to check if it's still running when I stop. I actually believe that the lack of sound is a big part of what caused all the fuss about the poor performance. You press the accelerator and almost nothing happens, except you are driving at much higher speed without even noticing. The car is that good and you shouldn't settle for anything less. :)

Good luck

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links