Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Buying An Rx400H - Advice

Hi, am considering buying one of these and have a few questions (aploogies if already asked but am newbie).

My budget means I am looking at 5 - 7 year olds with highish miles 70-90K.

Is there any known issues that affect examples with this age/mileage to look out for.

Is the cambelt change due @ 100k miles and is it an expensive service.

I've read that known problem of the very small capacity aux Battery which can discharge in short times esp if car parked up for a few days - just comeing back from holiday where my current car was at airport for 10 days I would find it most annoying to expect the car not to start! Has anyone a documented idiots guide/how-to to install a workaround for this like the solar tricle charger from powered cigarette lighter - or any other easy workaround to this issue, or better still have lexus dont something about it - the posts I read were all quite old so maybe theres been a recall r retrofit fix provided by lexus?

Any advice much appreciated...

I have an 07 which I've owned for about 6 months with no problems. Lexus generally is well known for it's reliability. Do not think about buying one without a FLSH, I bought mine from a Lexus dealer as an approved car and it came with a years Lexus warranty. It was worth paying a little more from the dealer for the peace of mind.

Have a good look at the alloys - it's quite well documented that most Japanese alloys are not as good as they should be, costly to put right!

I too, am a little concerned about the Battery issue when leaving the car for some time, but it does seem to be a luck of the draw thing.

Otherwise no problems and very easy car to drive/enjoy.

One other thing, you are buying a "luxury" brand, if things do go wrong it's not going to be a cheap fix, it does annoy me when people complain about their costs. If money is tight buy a Ford!

I hope you find what you are looking for.

Is the cambelt change due @ 100k miles and is it an expensive service.

I've read that known problem of the very small capacity aux battery .... maybe theres been a recall r retrofit fix provided by lexus?

Yes, 100k for the cambelt. Service is up to £900 depending on your dealer. For 5+ year old vehicles you can get the essentials service which will reduce the cost a bit. I was told by a dealer that they inspect the belt at 100k miles but won't by default replace it - not sure if this is common practice but given that the engine isn't always running there would be less wear compared to a non hybrid.

No recall for the Battery, the issue is with all Toyota/Lexus hybrids even the RX450 has the same short life. Not sure if it is cost cutting, or just weight saving for such a low capacity. RX seems worse than most, once the Battery has lost a bit of its capacity due to age leaving for two weeks will normally flatten it. Other models can normally last a bit longer. Bosch have a higher capacity Battery which fits, that gives you a few more days.

• 5 weeks later...

Toyota/Lexus have moved to chains on their new engines, the 400h engine has been around for a while and uses a belt. The RX450h has a chain.

Hopefully it was just the cleaner you were speaking to at the dealers and not a mechanic or service manager!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links