Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Really Want A Rx400H ...

Hi All,

I'm looking to purchase a second hand RX400H around a 56/57/58 reg.

I'm after some advice from you good people on what to look out for and detail on any of the following:

1. Are there any major faults associated with these models?

2. Is servicing expensive, are there any decent independents?

3. Are these models reliable?

4. Is it worth getting an after market warranty, if so any recommendations?

And anything else which you guys feel I should know.

Really appreciate all your help so thanks in advance :-)

My RX400h is a 2005 SEL model with 69000 miles on the clock.

I am not a car enthusiast, nor a DIY mechanic but I can give you my experience as a driver/owner in layman's terms:

1/ The car has not exhibited any major faults. Engine, hybrid system, electronics, interior, exterior are still in pristine condition. Minor niggles, the slightly less than advertised petrol consumption (at best 29-30 mpg), the short life car Battery (not the hybrid engine related one), the i-phone incompatibility of the on-board telephone provision, the (excellent) computer touch screen that does not include the car stereo, the lack of ventilated front seats and four way temperature control.

2/ Major service charges are about half those I regularly paid for my equivalent M-series Merc. I have always used a Lexus garage. Last service at 60000 cost just under £200. Never escaped the Merc garage for less than £400.

3/ After seven years I can vouch for the reliability of the car/model. NB There was a batch or individual cars that had to be withdrawn or have serious factory faults fixed - I believe problems related to the steering wheel and break system computers. Check that the particular car you are interested in is not one of them or get an updated guarantee for the parts replaced.

If you enjoy driving a safe, incredibly smooth, comfortable, reliable car that can also amaze you with its reserves of power, this is the one for you.

Lexus alloy wheels are very prone to bubbling so check them thoroughly before buying. As I keep saying on here Lexus is a "Premium" brand and costs will be reflected in this. You shoundn't consider one if you are driving on a budget, buy a Ford. When you think about it a 3.3L petrol engine in a big car returning 30/31 mpg? That's not bad.

If you can but a Lexus Approved vehicle from a main dealer, you get a years warranty with it. FLSH is a must and personally I will continue having mine serviced by a Lexus main dealer to help when I sell it. There is an Essentials Service Package for older Lexus and if you search the forum you'll learn more.

I agree with teejaybee: I bought from a dealer for the peace of mind and will continue to get services done at the dealer's. You will find in other entries that getting your car serviced at a dealers is not a lot more expensive, and at any rate it will help when you sell on. I'd recommend a late '58 plate or 09 and to go for the Executive Limited Edition: this was the exit model before the RX450h went on sale, and it has all the extras except for the rear seat DVD player.

yes that's true. One option worth considering is a service plan to spread the cost. The dealer works out what services will be required over x years, then spread the cost over said period with a fixed monthly payment. Makes it easier to budget, is inflation proof, interest free (I think), and should work out that you get a 10% to 15% discount because it means that you will be comitted to having your car serviced at the dealership. Of course it also means that in the mean time, the money is earning interest in Lexus' bank account rather than yours... yet again this my be cancelled out by the potential savings...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links