Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Ratle/grinding/tattering Noise Top Of Engine Bay Passenger Side

petayV8

Ive recently bought a IS200 SE Auto 2000 with 97k and have discovered that there is a rattling tattering grinding noise coming from the engine bay almost near the glove box area. Its quite consistent almost like a motor turning. Its not always noticeable after long trips but is obvious at low speeds and when idling from cold. It does change its tone with the revs, however the noise doesnt come directly from the engine but at the back near Battery, passenger side in front of glove box. Its just had a full service with 5w30 and new plugs. Coolant is slightly low. Ive read various posts of air circulation issues within the heater matix but changing air settings has no effect on the noise, also suggestions of new plugs but already done. maybe the water pump is on its way out? It would be good to compare engine sounds to another IS200. I will try and get a video up sometime. Any thoughts?

Throttle Control Motor possibly?

The throttle is controlled by a small motor and it could be that. Simple bolt on and off replacement job if it is. You'll get one from a scappy easily enough. It's the unit where the throttle cable connects to the engine. That there.

I had a rattle in exact the same position. After months of trying to work out what it was it turned out to be the Battery holder was slightly loose causing the rattle. Prob not that but just check that the Battery is totally secure and all fittings etc are secure.

I also read an old thread on here where the rattle was the plastic cover over the positive connection on the Battery was loose.

Throttle Control Motor possibly?

The throttle is controlled by a small motor and it could be that. Simple bolt on and off replacement job if it is. You'll get one from a scappy easily enough. It's the unit where the throttle cable connects to the engine. That there.

Sound promising. Ill top up the coolant next week and see what happens and if it still remains i will try it. I need to get a boot light from a scrapper anyway so will grab one... Is the motor accessible from the glove box or engine bay?

I had a rattle in exact the same position. After months of trying to work out what it was it turned out to be the battery holder was slightly loose causing the rattle. Prob not that but just check that the battery is totally secure and all fittings etc are secure.

I also read an old thread on here where the rattle was the plastic cover over the positive connection on the battery was loose.

I will check thanks

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links