Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hids Fitted

matt-c

That's kinda why I don't like mine - they look a bit chavvy, and scream "aftermarket!", even though they are (I just don't want them to look it)

Nice white light with plenty of spread and I'll be happy

Have you ordered 5000k's then? let me know what they are like... still not sure if i should opt for 4300k or 5k. Have heard 4300k (if correct) have a slight yellow tint...

I originally ordered 5k, which I was under the impression would be pure white (no blue). Mine certainly had blue, and to me looked more like other people's 6k (much like yours)

I ordered another set of 5k (bulbs only) yesterday, which to my surprise arrived today (benefit of dealing with a UK seller I guess!), and these are the pics as fitted (really not very good, I'll get some better ones soon)

These are the first "5k" bulbs

file-1.jpg

file-2.jpg

And this is with the new 5K in the left, old 5K in the right (as we look at it), and their beam

file-3.jpg

file-4.jpg

Will give these a bit to set in, then get some better pics and report back

camera struggles to show true colour but can see the new ones are whiter. so are you happy with new 5k? mine are more like 8k btw! becuase like i said ive had 6ks before and were white. can you paste the link of the uk seller too

Yeah it's hard to get accurate pics, specially with only a phone camera and less than perfect conditions. A pic I should have taken was holding a white box up 10 inches or so from each headlight - the old one you could see the blue tinge, and the new one was white.

Seller is this guy; http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200710535739?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

I'll run them for a bit, and hopefully they'll bed in a plain brilliant white. If that's still not right I'll give 43k a try I guess. But at the mo, with the limited use they've had, I'm happier with the new ones than the old ones. Just need to take the car out on a run up some country lanes to see!

yeah thats the seller i thought you used i was just waiting for you to confirm.... i will be ordering mine also! I think ill opt for the 5k even tho you said they still have slight blue ting, as long as there not full blown BLUE like current! and dont want to cross the line from white to yellow with 4300k but if you do try em let us know... Im also hoping the 5ks from this seller will match the colour of my CREE Q5 LED side lights and fogs. You can see one of them in one of my pics.

Yeah try on some lanes... but I noticed the low beam is very narrow on IS, my last HIDs on my focus covered much more and actually had to have them pointed down most of the time, if pointed up it was like full beam. Im guessing this is because the IS is actually setup for HIDs which is a good thing but it makes me want to get high beam HIDs now, prob is i rarely do any country driving so not sure its worth it.

• 4 weeks later...

Got my 5k's installed now too and much happier. In fact I think the colour is a perfect, any lower down the spectrum would start to look too yellow i think. comparison 5k on left 6k on right. very frustrating how the colour changes from manufactures, these 5k's now look the same as my 6k's in my last car! will always go for 5k's from now on.

2012-11-19_14-46-19_64.jpg

If i ever manage to get my fogs bulbs out will upload a pic of LEDs in those too, im gonna have another crack at it today

After going out at night I found there slightly blue'er than I saw in the day, but am happy and dont mind a bit of blue and they match my LEDs exactly. You might prefer 4300k matt, I think oem hid bulbs in new cars are 4300k

Guys the light pattern is not correct though :( ... I will try and take a wall shot tonight of the beam reflection on the wall.

This is with the factory HID's (Xenons)

The pattern of the pictures I see seems a bt flooding all over... but I might be remembering wrong from my car lol ...

will keep you posted

OK I have taken some pics

The quality is not the best and glare is mad.... lol it is only a Nexus camera phone :( ... could not be bothered to take out my proper camera.

You can see the cut off lines... they do not go above the height required.

If you retro fit HID bulbs on a standard reflector... it will not be able to manage the exta light "rays" and flood them all over the place, this is what makes the lights more dazzling to the oncoming traffic.

I think it is the bulb end-cap and the reflector pattern different.

IMG_20121120_161821.jpg

IMG_20121120_161823.jpg

IMG_20121120_161815.jpg

IMG_20121120_161830.jpg

IMG_20121120_161656.jpg

IMG_20121120_161702.jpg

Yes halogen bulbs are capped off at the end, but i noticed my HIDs arent, but i find it hard to believe the reflector is different on a IS with factory HIDs, im pretty sure there is only one part number for replacement headlights. Could you take a picture of your headlights close up and maybe bulbs too for us so we can compare the setup. I always thought if there are bulb defusers (metal cap over bulb) you can get away with retro fitting HIDs. After fitting them to my IS too i felt they were already designed for HIDs because when i put some in my focus the light like you said was scattered and had to point headlights fully down, but on the IS i dont and find the light is contained much better. Ill try and get a wall shot too at some point to better compare :)

I am removing one of these days my vinyl film... from my lights and clean them once I do that I will take pics.

After reading a bit online.... apparently on HID units the end cap is set to a different marginal distance from the factory HID light bulb, also the angle/distance of the bulb will be different to a factory HID unit compared to a factory Halogen unit.

It is way easier to modify HID's to H7 reflectors...

H4 are a pain to control lol ... and results are not good.

The reflectors in the IS200 units are different to those in the IS300 units, which is why we get scatter and glare when fitting HID's into IS200 units. Look at the pics Kent posted, and notice the "ridges" in the top and bottom of the reflector, and compare it to the ridges in the top and bottom of an IS200 reflector - they are much larger and there are less of them. The ridges in the dipped beam reflector are much more like the ones in the main beam reflector in Kent's pics.

Hi Guys,

Noticed several link backs to our eBay store so I thought I'd come and have a nosey. Glad your happy with your purchase and appreciate you sharing the link.

Drop us a PM with your address on it and we will send you out a little something for the effort.

Thanks again!

Nathan

Xenons Online

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links