Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hids Fitted

matt-c

£20 eBay specials turned up yesterday, from HK, so set about fitting them this morning. Took about a half hour, 20mins of which was spent figuring out where and how to mount the ballasts, and route the cabling.

Decided on the suspension turrets like most;

B758F43D-427E-4A0D-A20C-B55CE76F43DE-7155-000004848A15EC60.jpg

6CC0E69A-7100-455C-AC55-01DD35743ED2-7155-0000048483E65AEA.jpg

As per the norm it seems, I had to reverse one of the two pin connections to get them to work, which is a little annoying because the catch on it is on the wrong side to the notch now. But hopefully it will all stay watertight (how safe is the engine bay from water? Just always wary of new connections, and these aren't OEM quality, so a little unsure of how water tight they are going to be...)

Well, took it out in the dark and what a difference! Massive improvement on illumination!

Light output is a little more blue than I'd expected / had hoped for - maybe I should have gone 4500k instead of 5000k, but I thought it wouldn't have a blue tinge till you got to 6000k upwards. Not the end of the world, but I'd prefer a more solid white I think.

Typically, soon as I got out onto the main road, the second car coming towards me flashed me, probably because he thought my hi beams were on! I set the headlight angle to 2.5, so hopefully that won't blind people now.

But through the country lanes, the difference in visibility was just immense compared to the original bulbs!

Just need a set of fog lights to match now; at least colour wise - I don't really want to put another set of HID's in there, so might go for a pair of SMD/LED HB4 bulbs in the fog lights, so they at least match in colour. Something like this;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320896981224?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Worth it? Or are they crap? (can they also be used as high beam, or no?)

Hi Matt. So seeing you do this prompted me to get on eBay and buy a HID kit myself.

It's on route and as I'm rubbish with anything electronic my mate is fitting it for me. He did it on his IS200 a few years ago before he sold it.

Now when I asked him to do it he told me that I'll have to switch the lights back to halogen for the MOT as non factory HID and Xenons are a fail. Do you know anything about this? Is he correct? Seems a stupid rule to me as a lot of cars come from the factory with these lights so why are they a fail if I fit them myself?

I can't wait to get mine fitted tho, they make all the difference :)

Cheers

Chris

I´m from Denmark, so dont know the rules in the UK. But when you put Xenon lights on your car, it blinds the oncoming cars, because your car doesnt have Lenses in the light to disstort the light, so it doesnt blind people. You also need to have headlight washers and self-adjusting headlights. Here in denmark you get a fine of £120 for each headlight, if you get pulled over by the police.

Strictly speaking they aren't legal; as Patrick says, they actual headlight units aren't set up for them, so you get what's called scatter. Whether it will fail an MOT is more down to the MOT tester. But the kits are so easy to install, it's simply one plug to swap if you want to change by the standard bulbs, so if you're worried about it, keep the standard HB4 bulbs in the boot (you can use the handy protective cases the HID bulbs come in to house the original bulbs), and when it comes to MOT time, just pull out the HID bulb, slot in the standard one, swap over one plug, and you're all back to standard.

Just been out in it again, and whilst they are awesomely brighter than standard, I think I'm gonna grab a set of 4300k bulbs and try those out. The 5000k's I've got are just a little too blue for me.

Will report back when I've done a swap - might even do a side by side video comparison

Mine has been through 4 MOTs with retrofit HIDs fitted, I have no headlight washers or autolevelling system fitted and all the tester did was adjust the beam aim when it went through its 1st test after fitting them.

Apparently if the suspension is stiff so the beam doesn't bounce up and down it will pass.

With standard reflectors/lenses there is some beam scatter and I still occasionally get flashed by oncoming vehicles more so buses and LGVs as they sit higher up.

First of all ive also fitted the same HIDs to mine, also had to switch connectors but seems water tight as the seals are pushed together. I opted for 6000k. I had 6000k in my last car also and were very white to me, however these 6000k's are waaay blue'er than my last kit, i emailed the seller and sent him pictures and hes offered to send a replacement pair. but i might opt for 5000k or 4300k to be safe because i like them white too.

Its strange someone brought up it being legal when the IS is setup for HIDs, as it was a option, also all SE's do have washer jets? so cant see it being a problem. in addition i had HIDs on my focus and sailed thru MOTs which was not setup for HIDs. Scatter only occurs badly with old style headlights without defusers over bulbs, im surprised anyone flashed you because the IS is much better than my focus was at directing the light and have never been flashed with either. did you get 55w? btw just a warning, those cheap kits are OK, but the bulbs to tend to fail after maybe a year, you will find you will have to turn off and back on again to get it to fire it up, however replacements are a meer five pounds for a pair...

Well, took it out in the dark and what a difference! Massive improvement on illumination!

Light output is a little more blue than I'd expected / had hoped for - maybe I should have gone 4500k instead of 5000k, but I thought it wouldn't have a blue tinge till you got to 6000k upwards. Not the end of the world, but I'd prefer a more solid white I think.

Typically, soon as I got out onto the main road, the second car coming towards me flashed me, probably because he thought my hi beams were on! I set the headlight angle to 2.5, so hopefully that won't blind people now.

But through the country lanes, the difference in visibility was just immense compared to the original bulbs!

Just need a set of fog lights to match now; at least colour wise - I don't really want to put another set of HID's in there, so might go for a pair of SMD/LED HB4 bulbs in the fog lights, so they at least match in colour. Something like this;

http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1423.l2649

Worth it? Or are they crap? (can they also be used as high beam, or no?)

I had these style on my last car fogs. there good for the DRL look, but thats about it, not bright and hardly noticeableon the ground at night, but they looked good all the same, although in a IS they might be slight better because there projectors, my last car just had the reflector type. I found also these cheap types tend to slowly blow out random diodes too, and sometimes flicker depending how much you use them. I would recommend CREE Q5 LEDs. just the one Q5 diode would be brighter than all 48 of those with the help of projectors over the top. i just bought a pair of these for my IS fogs, and same diode for my side lights in wedge form.

http://www.ebay.co.u...<br /><br />I would show you a picture but i cannot get the blasted bulb mount to twist! a common fault i here. seezed with rust and debree. Oh and you asking can you use LEDs for main beam? yes but not cheapo, a CREE T6 diode or similar.

Just been out in it again, and whilst they are awesomely brighter than standard, I think I'm gonna grab a set of 4300k bulbs and try those out. The 5000k's I've got are just a little too blue for me.

Will report back when I've done a swap - might even do a side by side video comparison

A comparison would be greatly appreciated. Like i said im unsure what I should go for. surely 5000k are pretty white?

Well mine are fitted now and they look great (in the daylight)

Can't wait to try them out tonight!

Also I know a bloke from the pub who is an MOT tester. He said last night that they should be fine as long as I have the headlamp washer jets. I don't see what difference that makes but I don't have them on mine as I have the TTE bumper. They were fitted to TTE bumpers after 2002, i think they came with Xenons as standard then, not sure but mines 2001. Oh well I'll go back standard for the MOT :)

£20 eBay specials turned up yesterday, from HK, so set about fitting them this morning. Took about a half hour, 20mins of which was spent figuring out where and how to mount the ballasts, and route the cabling.

Decided on the suspension turrets like most;

B758F43D-427E-4A0D-A20C-B55CE76F43DE-7155-000004848A15EC60.jpg

6CC0E69A-7100-455C-AC55-01DD35743ED2-7155-0000048483E65AEA.jpg

As per the norm it seems, I had to reverse one of the two pin connections to get them to work, which is a little annoying because the catch on it is on the wrong side to the notch now. But hopefully it will all stay watertight (how safe is the engine bay from water? Just always wary of new connections, and these aren't OEM quality, so a little unsure of how water tight they are going to be...)

Matt

You still have the item number kit you bought on eBay?

Chris - what did you pay and where did they come from? Got a link?

Also, the headlight washers can be fitted to the TTE bumper - on the inside are the markings for where to cut, and you just use the standard washers to fit into the bumper.

Pete - 370560559698

Also, the headlight washers can be fitted to the TTE bumper - on the inside are the markings for where to cut, and you just use the standard washers to fit into the bumper.

Pete - 370560559698

Thanks

Pete - 370560559698

I got the kit from eBay. It was a bit more expensive than the one you bought. It was £59.99. I can't put a link up at the mo as I do everything on my Iphone and I bought the kit using the eBay app. I'll try when I get to work. If you type in Lexus IS200 HID kit 9006R then it's the first result.

As for the washers I'm not gonna bother. Seems a hassle. I don't have the button on the inside either to operate the washers. Where it should be is just covered with a bit of plastic.

I am after the same bulbs for the foglights for my is250. I haven't come across a company apart from hids4u that sells these. H7R on the other hand is widely available on eBay.

Just need to figure out how to remove the bumper before I order them.

hi im bit new so if i do this wrong i apoligize but regarding the hid kit for is 200 i bought a set of non canbus hids for my lexus and having issues with them just wondering if i shouldve gone for the canbus version any idea,s. oh and answering question on mot fail becauses xenons fitted is because it does not have a built in self leveling system on your car and aftermarket xenons seem to overpower most headlamp reflectors and shine everywhere but i agree they look really cool.

Can't say anything about canbus systems. Might help if you explain what the problems are you're having though?

As for colour, I'm still not convinced on mine. Granted these are Iphone pics, but you get the idea. They aren't the "white" white I thought they'd be, and more a blue white;

2632665E-E50B-42D4-8C04-6D8ABA4CC21D-8670-000005E593608A95.jpg

A070E0BF-545E-4FE0-A47F-7576E04C37A7-8670-000005E58E6FEC92.jpg

4DBBCFCF-FFF5-4678-971C-05BA6BD16F45-8670-000005E58915FA0B.jpg

85820756-34FF-48F2-9709-EDF5CF29E7BB-8670-000005E584DACFB0.jpg

FCF15D71-499E-4C34-AA4F-0A8F7B204FFD-8670-000005E57F099297.jpg

B229C2FD-1E96-4431-808F-CD13579DF345-8670-000005E5780FCCB8.jpg

Chris - any chance of some pics of yours in the dark? Also that link?

I've been speaking to a uk seller about it - showed him my pics and he reckons mine are more like 8k, so I've ordered a set of 5k's from him, which he assures are brilliant white, not blue. So when they arrive I'll bung em in and see what the difference is!

To be updated.........

Well i bought 6000k and they are much blue'er than your pics, so this confirms mine are wrong! these chinese sellers cant always be trusted. Ill be also buying another pair but in 5000k to be on the safe side, i dont want to order 6k again and same problem happen. I actually hate turning my lights on atm because i look like a chav!

That's kinda why I don't like mine - they look a bit chavvy, and scream "aftermarket!", even though they are (I just don't want them to look it)

Nice white light with plenty of spread and I'll be happy

I just want a good light coverage too, and HID are much better than halogen. I also like to be up to date and like my headlight to look brilliant white so not to look dated as most good new cars show up older halogen bulbs as yellow... and the IS200 doesnt look its age as it is... these are my so called 6000k from china anyway!

2012-10-23_06-37-06_239_zps4c680f6c.jpg2012-10-10_12-37-19_483_zpsc51077e6.jpgDSC00360_zps27b447df.jpg2012-10-23_06-37-22_959_zpsc3296806.jpg

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links