Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Inner Tyre Wear

Hope someone can point me in the right direction. Just had service done by Lexus Glasgow (always excellent) two problems have arisen, the gearbox sump seal needs replacing at £200 and the bloody tyres are goosed, look great on the outside with 5mm but less than 1mm on the inside. Anyone recommend someone in Glasgow or Central Scotland who can do the work. Also, does anyone have the actual figures that should be done, ie the WIM settings as the Lexus ones clearly don't work. Just bout to spend £500 on new Continentals so don't want that lot to go down the drain. Don't fancy cheap tyres as RWD skills are not my thing, i drive like an old Lady in the wet. Sorry for the rant, just don't want to spend any more than i have to. TIA

Ed in Glasgow

You need the WIM setup. They'll give it to you over the phone (for a price I'd imagine) then get somebody up your way to follow their instructions. there's a local garage near me that did it for me. They Got all the info from WIM in Milton Keynes then applied it to my car :)

Lexus know their geometry settings for the 1st gen IS are wrong and causes uneven tyre wear but they will not admit it. Or they say their settings give a more comfortable ride!

Has anyone on the forum actually got a set of the recommended figures for the alignment? That would be of great interest to the Forum I'm sure. Thanks

Don't take this the wrong way but if anybody does have the set up please don't post it on the forum.

Tony at WIM obviously put a lot of time, effort and money into getting the best set up for the IS200 and he's done what Lexus wouldn't. So the least we can do is actually pay him for his hard work. His set up has saved IS200 owners £100's in tyres

I really don't begrudge the man his money, but for a trip to Chesham is 800 miles round trip costing £175 in fuel alone. My front tyres costing £265 wore out on the inside in 5000 miles! Just getting there would put some wear on my new tyres, apparently it needs to be aligned with the new tyres on for the best result. Can you see where I'm coming from...

I really don't begrudge the man his money, but for a trip to Chesham is 800 miles round trip costing £175 in fuel alone. My front tyres costing £265 wore out on the inside in 5000 miles! Just getting there would put some wear on my new tyres, apparently it needs to be aligned with the new tyres on for the best result. Can you see where I'm coming from...

Yea mate totally understand. Just ring them up, they 'll give u the settings ( for a minimal fee) and then take them to a place near you that has the equipment.

Everybody's happy then :)

Has anyone on the forum actually got a set of the recommended figures for the alignment? That would be of great interest to the Forum I'm sure. Thanks

As Chris says - Tony is very helpful and he can explain the settings over the phone. But it's not just a simple matter of figures, so you (and whoever does the work locally) need to understand how it works. The camber, toe-in and caster all need to be adjusted (strictly speaking caster is non-adjustable....!) . The thing is that adjusting one setting shifts each of the others, so each setting needs to be re-adjusted until all three are re-set to the WIM spec.

Also it needs to be done by a decent alignment shop with a Hunter machine: it's not a job for your local Kwikfit spannerman.

As I'm even further from Chesham/Milton Keynes (I live near Inverness) I was going to have mine done locally.... but then found an excuse to make a trip south for various reasons so added in a call at WIM in Milton Keynes. I reckon the eventual savings on new tyres will justify making the trip.

Stop press - as noted in another thread, it looks as if Tony Bones and WIM may soon be leaving the premises at Milton Keynes.... but are presumably still operating at Chesham? Anyone planning a visit might be wise to check first.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links