Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Fitting Hid Headlights On Is200 Sport

mrbishman

Hi guys

I bought a 2001 Lexus IS200 Sport a couple of years back - which has been modified with HID headlights.

One of the bulbs went yesterday - so went to Halfords to get them to take a look - but said they couldn't tell which type of bulbs it was using, and couldn't replace them.

As a bit of a novice when it comes to cars, I don't want to be fiddling around unscrewing the bulbs and trying to fit new ones.

Looking at the box connected to the bulbs, its says 35W - so I'm assuming this is the power of the lights?

Does anyone know where I can get reasonably priced replacement HID lights, and get them fitted ni the Reigate / Surrey area?

Cheers

Paul

It's 9006. Commonly referred to as HB4. You should always replace bulbs in pairs otherwise your color output wont match.

In terms of Kelvin (color temperature). Go for 4300k or 5000k max.

This is all assuming you have stock headlights. When you remove the bulb it should say the bulb type on the base of the bulb.

eBay! Dont get ripped off buy the high street still trying to charge a arm and a leg for HID technology, its simple technology these days and should be cheap to replace your HID bulbs. Yes buy a pair, chances are the other is about to fail anyway as these type of bulbs have a certain amount of hours life span. type in eBay HB4 35w 5000k bulbs/replacements. your bulbs are also called known as 9006 type as well as HB4. You do not need a "kit" only the bulbs, and is a straight swap like any other bulb.

This is a UK seller and the bulbs are of good quality, if you like your bulbs as white as can be, choose 4300k

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/35w-Xenon-HID-Replacement-Bulbs-Excellent-Quality-2-Years-Warranty-UK-SELLER-/190677178673?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item2c653ed931

You can buy a pair for as little as 6 pounds also but expect the life span to be shorter and also a few weeks wait from china. Life span is normally specified in the sale, i do tend to just keep buying cheap ones every few years, but up to you.

Thanks PetayV8 :)

Just another quick question... do you know what the difference is between the H4 BiXenon bulbs and the H4 dual beam bulbs?

Cheers

Paul

As far as i know dual beam HID bulbs have 2 filaments for cars with only 1 reflector for high and low beams and work in the same way as a H4 halogen bulb does, H4 bulbs wont work in your IS200 btw, its HB4 you need, as the IS200 has a seperate reflector for high beam. BiXenon is a type of bulb which adjusts its beam for high and low also, similar principle but more advanced i think my dads MG ZT has it, none of which are related to the IS200's setup. You can also convert you high beams to HID btw, I would recommend 55w or 75w bulbs tho and would be HB3.

Hi guys

I bought a 2001 Lexus IS200 Sport a couple of years back - which has been modified with HID headlights.

One of the bulbs went yesterday - so went to Halfords to get them to take a look - but said they couldn't tell which type of bulbs it was using, and couldn't replace them.

As a bit of a novice when it comes to cars, I don't want to be fiddling around unscrewing the bulbs and trying to fit new ones.

Looking at the box connected to the bulbs, its says 35W - so I'm assuming this is the power of the lights?

Does anyone know where I can get reasonably priced replacement HID lights, and get them fitted ni the Reigate / Surrey area?

Cheers

Paul

I would come fit them for you if i lived close by! its relativity simple, although quite fidderly on the passengers side due to being obstructed by various things... 35w HID it equiv to 55w halogen and is what you need. Im sure any garage would charge a small price to fit your bulbs as it prob consist of about 10 minutes labour. Any mobile mechanic would also do the job for you.

Thanks PetayV8 :)

Just another quick question... do you know what the difference is between the H4 BiXenon bulbs and the H4 dual beam bulbs?

Cheers

Paul

Like i said 9006 or HB4 will fit your IS200.... on the link i sent you would select 9006... sorry for confusion

Being a 2001, it didn't come with HIDs as standard, and it's highly unlikely that it has the factory HID headlights from the IS300 or late (04/05) IS200. It's much much more likely that it has had a conversion, and going on the info you've given, I'd say it has. Although as Pete Shawn says, pictures would help confirm.

Anyway, as Petayv8 says, you don't need a full kit, just the bulbs, as is the information about what bulbs. You want 9006 (HB4) fitment bulbs - no BiXenon or dual filament bulbs. The seller he linked to is one I just purchased a set of bulbs from myself (my kit should have had 5000k bulbs, but they were too blue for my liking, and we think they were either 6000k or possibly 8000k, so I changed them for 5000k). 5000k are supposed to be white, however I'm finding out that it depends where you buy from and probably how much you spend, but also that I've read if you have 55w ballasts, 5000k bulbs are white, but on 35w ballasts they have a little blue in them, so you may want to go for 4300k (which, and I'm guessing a bit here) might appear a little yellow on 35w, but more white on 55w)

You might as well replace both bulbs in yours at the same time - 1) because most come in pairs, and 2) because of the colour match. Then just keep the left over one you have as a spare in case one dies on you, to keep you going till you buy another pair.

Cheers for the advice guys... very much appreciated :)

Yes they're definitely a conversion kit Matt.

I've just ordered the 5000k lights... as I quite like a tint of blue tbh.

I'll have a go at fitting them myself (although the passenger side will be a mission as its so tight)... otherwise I'll just take it to a garage and ask them to do it :)

It's easy - I swapped mine over last night in the dark and took 5 mins. For the passenger side, which is tight, just twist outtue side light and indicator bulb first - gives that little bit more room to get to the headlight bulb. Fit headlight, then indicator and side light

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys,

Noticed several link backs to our eBay store so I thought I'd come and have a nosey. Glad your happy with your purchase and appreciate you sharing the link.

Drop us a PM with your address on it and we will send you out a little something for the effort.

Thanks again!

Nathan

Xenons Online

This is a pic of a H4 HID bulb for dual filament replacement.

China_Hid_Flexible_Xenon_Kit20089221010506.jpg

As you can see in the pic there's a cover that fits behind the bulb for driving lights and when you turn on your high beam the cover moves exposing the full brightness of the bulb.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links