Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

telescopic steering wheel reach stopped working today no noise nothing when button operated, car under warranty so not bothered, all day like this, then got in the car before and it worked start up memory works, and the button,

any one any ideas, don't want this to develop and i am going to ring the dealer, any pointers as what it could have been.

i have read very cold weather can affect this delicate steering wheel operation ?????

was there a TSB om the wires not being sturdy enough

There have been reported problems with the tilt motor and I think the same type of motor is used for the telescopic motor, I cannot find a specific TSB for a wiring problem but like you seem to remember something about tight wiring.

Given the problem is intermittent it would point to an wiring fault.

When you have sorted the problem could you come back with the cause to help other members in the future please.

telescopic steering wheel reach stopped working today no noise nothing when button operated, car under warranty so not bothered, all day like this, then got in the car before and it worked start up memory works, and the button,

any one any ideas, don't want this to develop and i am going to ring the dealer, any pointers as what it could have been.

i have read very cold weather can affect this delicate steering wheel operation ?????

was there a TSB om the wires not being sturdy enough

Hi Duck - in nearly 11 years and 203K miles I have had two steering column tilt and extend motors fail. The first one was at 85K. I think it was about £245 for an independant to replace inc labour. A Lexus dealer will charge you that plus 1,5 hours labour - the job takes 20 mins :). It is annoying they fail - you may find messing about with it will make it move again but the shims will probably be shot so it will crap out again, Just noted you are under warranty so get them to swap it.

Bren

Well this goes from a simple telescopic issue to the ridiculous, took the car down yesterday for my appointment with the dealer it had stopped working that morning, anyway mentioned the fact that i had to wiggle the steering wheel and he looked at me funny, after an hours diagnostic and several cups of Delicious hot chocolate, i got the long walk over by the service manager, right he said we are going to replace the whole steering system, talk about cracking a nut with a sledge hammer, 7 hours labour and £1200 @ cost to them for parts all done under warranty, will this fix the telescopic problem, yes he said and it will fix the wiggle, everything will be brand new from the steering wheel downward to the box,

he did mention that if the wheel is at the full out position which mine was very nearly the connection can fail as they believe the connecting wires are not long enough and it can become disconnected.

I mentioned the ATF fluid again and he said he is waiting for a technical service sheet from Lexus HQ he wants to know how much fluid to use and that's being done as well,

having done all that i am trying to shoe horn myself into a absolutely beautiful GS 450 on a 55 plate 42000 miles in silver, there could be a deal so i could be moving forum sub section, LOL

I did not take a test drive i was chatting the the salesman and he was plying me with the hot chocolate which was having the desired effect, along with the very lustrous sales lady with the big boobies who kept putting a new cup down right in front of me on a very low coffee table with a very loose top on, she was almost like the SC an open top, i tried to avert my gaze but the force was strong in her.

7 hours labour and £1200 @ cost to them

Don't run away with the idea the dealer takes a hit, an insurance company underwrites all their warranties and pays out that's why they go the long way round and the most expensive. Mike

7 hours labour and £1200 @ cost to them

Don't run away with the idea the dealer takes a hit, an insurance company underwrites all their warranties and pays out that's why they go the long way round and the most expensive. Mike

They can go which ever way they like, as long as i get to see those Airbags again,

more hot chocolate vicar .

Regards

• 2 weeks later...

well the old girls back and in tip top condition,

under warranty

general work £153.90

replaced steering colum + telescopic function £1244.47

steering fluid £46.31.

while it was in engine warning light came on, and smart start door handle failed.

replaced faulty door handle

replaced faulty oxygen sensor+ repair smart entry £220.00

Door handle sensor £166.67

sensor oxygen £183.91

Battery for smart key £9.56

and fixed a few other slight niggles so all in all very good service, loan car provided but not going to ***** the CT200h owners on this thread, but glad to be out of it.

Regards MARK

when i got her home the drivers door mirror refused to fold in so i Googled it and the cure is WD40 good spray all round and now glides back and forth like a good un, sometimes they get stuck at a notch ?????

they also shown me the correct way to operate the smart entry you fold your fingers under the door handle with your palm touching the outer casing of the door handle and pull, that's where the sensor is not on the inside as most people think,

There still in confusion about the ATF fluid change but the fluid is RED and clear and ihave a quote from a indy of £136.00 all in for a change.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links