Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Is250 Extended Warranty?

I am approaching the end of my 3 year standard warranty that comes with the new purchase of a Lexus.

My question to all you 250 owners out there is this.

Is the purchase of an Extended Warranty an adviseable step to take. I have a Model Year 2010 - 250 SEL mm with 39K mls on the odometer, and I'm now doing 6-8k miles per year (desk bound now). In defence of this model, all I hear from all quarters is how bullet proof this model is. That is very reassuring. But is it necessarily correct? Anyone out with a horror story to share?

The only slight suspicion I have is over the longevity of the Mark Levinson unit. I have read of ribbon connector failures and potential replacement units being £3000+. Maybe this was the early models... I reallly don't know. Certainly the ML unit was upgraded on the facelft (09 plate i think) model as mine is quite different to those on, say, a 07 model.

What about the auto gearbox (god its lovely), the V6 engine(sublime too), brakes/calipers or electrics? Anybody had any problems? Had a quick glimpse at a document and if I am remebering correctly I think Wheels are no longer covered.That could be a bit of a concern as that certainly seems to be a defo Achilles Heel of any Lexus.

All experiences will be most gratefully received....... and many thanks in advance to any who can enlighten or share an experience.

Hiya normski2, Have a good read of the extended warranty doc as I have heard some whispers that the ML unit isn't fully covered. I found this a little disconcerting as it is my intention to renew mine when my first 12months is up. I will have a look to see if I have still got the document from my 220d but methinks that I may have passed it to the new owner when I transferred the remaining few weeks of the warranty to him.

A replacement for the ML unit is expensive but there are threads on the internet on how to repair the ribbon cable problem very cheaply. Other than that I've only heard problems of the valve gear clattering on startup but again this was sorted on later models.

My car was 3 years old in October with 28000 on the clock. I have had no issues whatsoever. The 2 year extended warranty costs £66.75 x 20 months, interest free.

I intend keeping the car long term and as long as I have it I will continue with the extended cover, I made this decision when I bought it.

There is so much equipment on this car therefore so much that could go wrong. If I never make a claim it won't bother me, I've purchased it for peace of mind.

I have read of excessive oil consumption which became a Lexus recall which like the 220d was a full engine rebuild, e.g. Pistons, rings etc.

This bothers me a little as I recently had to top mine up and it had only done 8000 miles nice last service. Hoping mine is just a small leak some where as I don't fancy an engine rebuild again.

This would certainly not live up to the bullet proof engine I also have been LED to believe.

Mine is due a service in the next month so I will get Lexus to check it out whilst it's in.

I would add the car runs fine and I see no blue smoke on start up or under load lthough sometimes after I park and stop the cr I get a smell of hot oil, assumably from the breathers.

Anyone else experience this?

Carl

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links