Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Findings Of A New Is200 Owner :)

For those who did not read my hello post, I picked up my is200 last Monday, first time owner (wanted one for years, but I am a skinflint when it comes to cars, with the exception of my last car, Mini cooper (LOL) ) I have never taken finance out on a car (something my dad drummed into me, talking about how much you loose on a car etc etc)

Anyways my ownership beliefs over, I picked up a blue is200 with 148,000 miles for just over a grand (x plate or 2000 model in other words) First one I went to see (perhaps in some eyes not the best thing to do) half leather etc etc.

It was love at first site :), She had her alloys refurbished, couple of marks on the body, a bit unwashed but still looked a nice motor. My big sis helped me out with the funds (wages hadnt cleared) and paid for her there and then.

Impressions after a week?

I CANNOT BELIEVE THAT EVERYTHING WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have owned cars younger and older, and you get used to wee things not working (thinking well it isn't brand new, some things are sure to go!) Even the MINI (LOL) which I took finance out on, I had to manually unlock the drivers door, as the remote worked on the passengers door, boot, but not the drivers (ach it is a bit older) Lexus, EVERYTHING! (Im getting worried!!!!!!!!!!!) I tell a lie, the handbrake light thingy was showing on the dash even when it was not engaged, found this website, searched, changed the bulb in the center brake light, THATS WORKING TOO NOW :0

Please dont think I am moaning, I am just concerned that I have never had a car that everything works on! :)

Welcome to the world of Lexus where 10 yr old cars with over 100,000 miles still drives like new and eveything works :) .. Parts are not cheap on these cars and they are engineered to out last most 62 plate cars you see on the roads today.. service it when its due and you wont have any major problems.. the major problem about Lexus cars is once you have owned a Lexus car any other cars will feel like a compromise some owners have left for other brands thinking the grass is greener but have returned back to a Lexus... its just something about Lexus cars.... and although this is my first Lexus it wont be my last so long as I can run one!! Welcome and enjoy yours :) ..

Hehehe. Lexus built cars of quality. I think you're a bit lucky, but then again, Lexus owners are more likely to service & MOT their cars, so any issues, get fixed.

I got a 54 plate is200 SportCross with 122000 miles on the clock 2 weeks ago. CD Changer wasn't working, just fitted the replacement unit yesterday, fuse for cigarette lighter got replaced last weekend. A DAY AFTER BUYING IT, IT WOULDN'T START, the garage had to come round and fit a new Battery. Rear parking sensors aren't working and I've only got one key.

But I'm fixing everything. And 2 weeks in. It's still the best car I've ever owned!

Yeah, I did see the post. Once my registration documents come back, I'll be booking it into Lexus Cardiff to get some more keys cut and programmed. It just makes sense to have the spare key and to get it done properly.

Yes I am testament to that :D I am getting a spare key only cut just in case of the boot incident again. Dont want to spend too much cause unfortunately I move abroad in a couple of months (not unfortunately I move, unfortunately I cant take her with me :( ). Looked into taking her over with me but getting her registered etc does not make financial sense :(

Congrats on moving abroad. With the development of the is' s. The older ones are going to be just as cheap elsewhere. If once you've moved, the is is still the car of choice, you should be able to pick up a like for like for a reasonable price, no worries with importing and registering. (Hopefully)

Yes I am testament to that :D I am getting a spare key only cut just in case of the boot incident again. Dont want to spend too much cause unfortunately I move abroad in a couple of months (not unfortunately I move, unfortunately I cant take her with me :( ). Looked into taking her over with me but getting her registered etc does not make financial sense :(

should be easy to sell on when the time comes also

Hi as a mechanic and work on many vehicle's from hgv to lawn mowers i find the is 200 easy to work on and the build quality excellent the only thing i had to change on my is200 apart from service items is a brake light bulb and i think that was my fault i keep thinking of changing my car as i have had it 7 years now but when i look at it i just love the look and my wife loves it and says she just feels so safe in it

Congrats on the ownership. Ive also always wanted one of these cars and when I bought my 2nd car couldnt quite justify the insurance, plus they were a little more pricy 3 years ago, but i just hit 25 and thought its time! I will never forget the day I bought my IS and the first drive home! It was also love at first sight when I bought mine and new it was the one. I just love driving it and always look forward to it. I want to go to Scotland in it soon just for fun. The only things that didnt work on my 2000 (99k miles) IS200 that i bought 3 months ago is the passenger heated seat and the passenger door switch. I replaced the door switch for a fiver. Im also emigrating this year and will be forced to part with my baby :(

btw im surprised you think parts are expensive for these cars noby as ive experienced them to be very reasonable so far, and this is after owning the most common car there is, a focus! I have noticed from having a mooch on the GS and LS forums that they tell a difference story but the IS not so much?

Congrats on moving abroad. With the development of the is' s. The older ones are going to be just as cheap elsewhere. If once you've moved, the is is still the car of choice, you should be able to pick up a like for like for a reasonable price, no worries with importing and registering. (Hopefully)

This isnt true for me. Im emigrating to California and IS's there are in excess of 7k and thats for a high miler! I guess they get the respect they deserve stateside.. this ones got 154k and it doesnt even have heated seats or navi and its going for over 8k!

http://sfbay.craigsl...3559312671.html

MK1 GS300's are pretty cheap tho but normally battered. The ES is cheap too but im not so keen on the older ones, seem pretty basic. Prolly end up getting something american with a V8 :P

Ive actually largely been into the american car scene in the UK for a long time and even have a AACUK sticker in my IS! :shutit: Im just not in a position atm to deal with the running and maintenance costs of owning a yank even as a second car, but has always been a dream of mine. As for options in the US, yes youve got alot of choice and american cars over there are the cheapest option naturally, which is a bonus :)

• 4 weeks later...

Welcome to the world of Lexus where 10 yr old cars with over 100,000 miles still drives like new and eveything works :) .. Parts are not cheap on these cars and they are engineered to out last most 62 plate cars you see on the roads today.. service it when its due and you wont have any major problems.. the major problem about Lexus cars is once you have owned a Lexus car any other cars will feel like a compromise some owners have left for other brands thinking the grass is greener but have returned back to a Lexus... its just something about Lexus cars.... and although this is my first Lexus it wont be my last so long as I can run one!! Welcome and enjoy yours :) ..

WELL SAID!!!!!!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links