Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

been to view a few LS400's recently, and walked away from a couple because the mileage just didn't equate to the condition of the interior.

from lurking on here for a few months i got the impression that the quality of the interior on the LS series is very high, so when i went to look at cars with 80 and 92k on them i didn't expect the steering wheel/seat bolster/gear knobs to have much wear on them - but they did...

both the above cars had part history, and the mileages on the (part) paperwork seemed to corrulate with the odometer, but i also looked at cars with 150k+ on them (with full service history and all old mots) and the same parts on these cars were in vgc, with hardly any visible wear.

is clocking or transplanting something that occurs on these regularly, or am i being a numpty?????

been to view a few LS400's recently, and walked away from a couple because the mileage just didn't equate to the condition of the interior.

from lurking on here for a few months i got the impression that the quality of the interior on the LS series is very high, so when i went to look at cars with 80 and 92k on them i didn't expect the steering wheel/seat bolster/gear knobs to have much wear on them - but they did...

both the above cars had part history, and the mileages on the (part) paperwork seemed to corrulate with the odometer, but i also looked at cars with 150k+ on them (with full service history and all old mots) and the same parts on these cars were in vgc, with hardly any visible wear.

is clocking or transplanting something that occurs on these regularly, or am i being a numpty?????

Numpty ?? Definitely not. You are 100% right to walk away from cars with shoddy interiors especially worn steering wheels as cars with 150K+ on them are still difficult to spot wear on the steering wheels etc.

The interiors are something special and even if a company car where the driver doesn't much care for the interior etc wont show much wear.

Use you eyes and believe what they are telling you.

There is no such thing as a car that cant have the mileage fiddled with.

You are going about it in the right way and you will find the car you are after with patience.

Good hunting Mike

PS Where are my manners? Welcome to the LOC, we are a friendly bunch and you can always ask questions on possible purchases, many of them we already know as they have been on the market in some cases years.

cheers for the welcome mike,

glad you confirmed my thoughts, was beginning to doubt my judgement! seems like finding a good un with low mileage is harder than i thought it would be!

will keep trawling, fingers crossed something pops up as i'm car-less in a few weeks :rolleyes:

Hi and welcome to the club. I agree with Mike, my Ls400 has no signs of wear inside at all and has coverd 160,000 but still drives perfect these cars are built to last. Keep an eye on eBay as mine will be going on there this weekend. I know im going to regret selling it but i need something smaller.

my service history doesn't cover how big the previous owners were, but looking at the bolster id say its had at least one fatty.

i couldnt say my interior is factory new but it has worn incredibly well. i got mine with 160 on it and the bolsters just showed signs of wear and on the steering wheel where the leather meets the wood trim. what i judged to be par for its course, and this is what you are right to be looking for, - the car that your happy to spend your hard earned on.

the big one for me, interior wise, is the central arm rest. i gave it a thorough testing as creaking interiors drive me up the wall and thought this would be the prime candidate.

glad you confirmed my thoughts, was beginning to doubt my judgement! seems like finding a good un with low mileage is harder than i thought it would be!

will keep trawling, fingers crossed something pops up as i'm car-less in a few weeks :rolleyes:

Hi & Welcome.

Its a difficult one this, My 1998 ls 400 I just sold had 192,000 miles on it & virtually no wear on the interior, It had mainly done long trips so less getting in & out of (which wears the bolster) & holding the wheel in a straight line doesn't wear the wheel.

My 430 which has a genuine 91,000 has more wear on the interior, Mainly due to the fact that the previous owner wore a lot of rings which have worn the steering wheel & lightly scratched the windscreen.

In essence a short trip car with a lot of round town work will show more wear on the interior than a car which is used to go up & down the motorway .

Don't discount higher mileage examples, Mine drove more like 30.000 miles with 192 on it, The new owner is over the moon with it.

High miles with a worn interior is a no no,

Low miles with a worn interior& no stone chips points to short trips.

High miles with plenty of stone chips & a good interior points to mainly distance motorway miles.

The Ideal scenario is low miles, a bit of stone chipping & mint interior. Used as a second car for long trips.

A good history is what you should look for in all cases.

There is a lovely green example for sale on the cars for sale section Wow300 is selling it( be prepared to travel for a good one) I have seen some pics & it looks good.

A LOC members car is probably your best bet as you can check previous posts for any problems & be fairly well assured its been looked after.

Hope this is of use Mark

We all keep an eye out for cars when we know LOC members are looking for a car.

Other places to look other than eBay..

Piston Heads.

Autotrader

LOC site

Just put into Google the following "For Sale Lexus LS 400"

You will be amazed how many that will bring up.

Don't forget don't rush into a deal because you haven't got a car. These LS's are becoming rarer every passing week but there are some great cars out there. Always good to try and get one from an existing LOC member as 99% of them look after their cars.

Most important thing apart from a full service history is make sure the timing belt has been changed and you need to see an invoice not just a sticker in the engine bay.

Its all common sense and you seem to have that by the bucket load.

Mike

I agree with Mike. When I started looking for my car three years ago there were always about 100 LSs (all ages) for sale on Autotrader but now there are only about 60. And most of the 400s look a bit tatty and/or overpriced. It seems like most owners are hanging on to them, which will make your search difficult - but there are good ones out there if you're willing to travel to check them out. Mine's done nearly 148,000 but the seats and steering wheel have very little wear. In fact a foreign friend who rode in it last year thought it was a nearly new car (I wish, at £50,000, or whatever it cost new).

Hi and welcome.

I've just been through the same process, my LS400 has 183000 on the clock and looks almost new!

The steering wheel has no marks, the bodywork actually has very few stone chips. The leather is good, some minor age related cracking but nothing that 'hide food' won't help with The only reason I think that I bought her so reasonably is that she needed

4 new tyres and the cam belt is almost due on mileage but overdue by a year on time. Any lesser car would have me worried but I want to put her through the MoT in June before I splash out on the cambelt/waterpump.

I looked at two other newer and lower mileage cars, both of which were tatty.

Keep looking and good hunting!!!

Mark.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links