Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New Prospective Owner

Bolosun

Hi,

I have just joined as I am interested in getting a SC430. Not going for a newish model, but one that is about the £8.5k price range. Reading some of the post here and the reviews on t'intenet they seem prety mush bullet proof. But is there anything I should look out for when buying one. Also can the hi-fi connect directly to an ipod or doe the whole system need to be upgraded?

Thanks Dave

Hello and welcome to the LOC.

With the correct maintainance and servicing the SC430 is as you say pretty much bulletproof.

At the prices you are looking at you should be able to get a decent one with sensible mileage and low ownership.

Check the service history carefully looking for any gaps.

These are heavy cars so main wear areas are suspension and brakes so listen for any knocks when driving over potholes/roadhumps.

Wheel corrosion is common across the Lexus range so check them for flaking paint or worse.

Not sure about the iPod connectivity but most models have at least a phono aux in facility and I have seen retrofit Bluetooth systems available.

If you don't mind sharing information you can always post a link or two for cars you are considering and members will advise you.

Hi,

thanks for the info. Well I put a deposit on this one yesterday :hocus-pokus:

http://www.evoquecars.co.uk/detail.php?vid=33211

It drove very well and I have done a HPI check on it, which shows it has done 7k miles in the last 2 years. Full Lexus service history and is has new tyres, discs and brakes.

Cheers Dave W

Looks beautiful, very similar to mine. Just one thing, has it had its 10 year cam belt change? If not you're in for a £500 bill very soon. Just did mine, with a full major service and a couple of little things that was a £1,000 bill.

Agree they are pretty bullet proof. For iPod I have the Dension gear, see this link for full details, had it for a while now and it's pretty good considering the age of my car. http://www.lexusowne...ion#entry765307

I have just spoke to one of the dealers near me who are listed on the Denison website and they said they don't fit them anymore as they are a waste of time and don't work.

Does yours work ok?

Cheers Dave

Had mine for nearly two years with no problems. I have a 160GB classic iPod in the bottom lockable part of the centre console. Bear in mind the main limitations are the Mark Levinson kit, which can't display full track info (song names etc..) as you would on a newer car. What you get is the display showing MD1 and some track numbers. The steering wheel controls all work for up/down tracks and for switching mode and volume etc... There are some key sequences for playlists etc, but I just use the iPod before I start driving. Personally I think it's a good solution for an older car. If you were closer I'd say come and have a look.

• 2 weeks later...

You can buy a gadget that fits in the center consul and plugs into the 12v that will send your i pod tunes onto your FM radio. (you choose which channel)

It costs about £20 and works well it has a seperat remote if needed. Someone stole mine when it was in a garage after i hit a flood and drove into a pig farm through a hedge !!

Looks beautiful, very similar to mine. Just one thing, has it had its 10 year cam belt change? If not you're in for a £500 bill very soon. Just did mine, with a full major service and a couple of little things that was a £1,000 bill.

The cam belt change is not 10 years. Its 100,000 miles that's what Lexus recommended but its not always what Lexus dealers will indicate.

There is no reason whatsoever to change a cam belt after 10 years if it has done less than say 60,000 miles.

They wear on use they dont deteriorate by standing still in these time frames.

The maintainence schedule for Lexus indicates a change only on mileage (100,000 miles) and not on any time frame.,

Dont worry about i pod compatibility just buy a transmiiter from amazon. It will fit in the centre consul plug into the 12 v socket and transmitt your SD MP£s card or i pod (USB) direct to a channel you can choose on the FM radio. Perfect sound and you only need to choose the channel.

Hello :) my car which I purchased last week has had a Campbelt change - its written on the little metal plate under the bonnet - as someone who's had a Campbelt go on me years ago as a teenager stuck in heavy snow middle of nowhere long before mobiles phones were about, it's a major thing I check on all my vehicles I purchase.

Happy days driving :)

The cam belt change is not 10 years. Its 100,000 miles that's what Lexus recommended but its not always what Lexus dealers will indicate.

There is no reason whatsoever to change a cam belt after 10 years if it has done less than say 60,000 miles.

The maintainence schedule for Lexus indicates a change only on mileage (100,000 miles) and not on any time frame.,

Not sure about that. Is the SC timing belt made from some special material that doesn't deteriorate?

My service book for my IS also says 100k no indication of time. But I asked Lexus and they said 10 years, change it, as it does deteriorate over time.

The maintenance schedule for Lexus indicates a change only on mileage (100,000 miles) and not on any time frame.,

Not sure about that. Is the SC timing belt made from some special material that doesn't deteriorate?

My service book for my IS also says 100k no indication of time. But I asked Lexus and they said 10 years, change it, as it does deteriorate over time.

If Lexus thought it deteriorated over time they would say 10 years or 100,000 miles. They dont do that. Only some Lexus dealers claim its a 10 year item. They need the business.

Its a very heavy duty cam belt. Made to last 100000 miles if it sat in a garage for 10 years it would be as good as new.

Everything deteriorates in time but one thing about modern man made materials is they are actually very difficult to get rid of. It wont under normal conditions deteriorate much at all in 10 years. Its just some dealers wanting to increase there turn over and they really shouldn't do it as Lexus dont think its required.

I spent sometime looking into this as i was going to buy a 2003 model in fact I got very conflicting advice from dealers. But I do know some very well qualified and experienced automotive engineers and they all agree. If it was supposed to deteriorate without use in 10 years Lexus would advise changing it. As they dont do that 100000 miles is perfectly acceptable.

In the end I bought a late 2005 (6 speed) with 50000 miles on. I wont be changing the belt in 2015. More like 2019 at the mileage I do. Cant see me changing the car.

Some dealers want there bottom smacked.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links