Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi all,

I'll get to the point. I want to buy a GS. Why, because with my rose tinted glasses on, this is the vehicle that will drive me in luxury ,effortlessly and without any problems. Oh and because they seem reasonbly cheap as a budget buy (£1500 -2500). I like big cars, always have, but at present commute in a Yaris 1L it's dependability is second to none but I need the grin factor.

So I am asking why should or shouln't I buy a Gs and which model is preferable or not?

Any thoughts appreciated. :)

Spotted a GS430 (it was definitely a GS but not 100% sure about the number) today driving up the high street in Budleigh Salterton, it seemed to glide along affortlessly and the owner looked as snug as a bug in a rug. Wouldn't mind one of these myself. i like big cars too!

I must admit that a Gs 300 was my first thought of the one to go for but the 430's that I have seen in pictures seem to have a slightly different look. I guess that could be just the bigger engine or perhaps those glasses I talked about. I believe in terms of m.p.h there's nothing in it but I wouldn't swear to that.

If you after a mk2 GS, then the choice is narrow, with only the 300 or the 430 (with or without Satnav). 430's didn't start unitl 01, 300's in 98. If you go for a 2001 or later 300, the auto box has a "manual" mode with buttons on the steering wheel. The 430's never got the buttons on the wheel (no idea why though). Gs300 is great, nice and smooth, quick. GS430 is even greater, super smooth and much quicker. Visually there is no difference between them. The "Sports" have sport grill, 18" alloys and a chin lip (not always though). Both can be costly on repairs, especially if you don't DIY. Fuel consumption is OK, and not much to choose between the two, on a run expect low 30mpg, combined around 25, urban around 20. If like me you do lots of short journeys (mostly to the train station and back these days), then you can probably look at around 15mpg. Brilliant cars, if you plan to get a 300, don't test drive a 430, as you will buy the 430 ;)

If you after a mk2 GS, then the choice is narrow, with only the 300 or the 430 (with or without Satnav). 430's didn't start unitl 01, 300's in 98. If you go for a 2001 or later 300, the auto box has a "manual" mode with buttons on the steering wheel. The 430's never got the buttons on the wheel (no idea why though). Gs300 is great, nice and smooth, quick. GS430 is even greater, super smooth and much quicker. Visually there is no difference between them. The "Sports" have sport grill, 18" alloys and a chin lip (not always though). Both can be costly on repairs, especially if you don't DIY. Fuel consumption is OK, and not much to choose between the two, on a run expect low 30mpg, combined around 25, urban around 20. If like me you do lots of short journeys (mostly to the train station and back these days), then you can probably look at around 15mpg. Brilliant cars, if you plan to get a 300, don't test drive a 430, as you will buy the 430 ;)

Thanks TigerFish,

Looks like the 430 then as there is no way I will not try one :). Like you my journeys will be quite short in general but having said that we are contemplating taking the right vehicle for a spin around europe.

I have been looking around and as I said I'm looking up to £2500. Not much in my part of the world (Plymouth) at the moment in either size other then a few higher milers without full histories, which I'd prefer see on any car, and needing possible cambelt changes. What would I expext to pay for a good example of the 430? I am happy to travel for the right car.

I got mine about 18 months ago, 129K miles, history, for £2,200. Prices seem to be fairly settled around those levels, pretty much in your budget range. Some cheaper, some much more (dealers generally). Mine is the Sport with Satnav, although I sold the mk2 Sport wheels on my Mk1 and have the Mk1 Sport wheels on mine (plus a spare set of mk1 Sport wheels with winter tyres).

I got mine about 18 months ago, 129K miles, history, for £2,200. Prices seem to be fairly settled around those levels, pretty much in your budget range. Some cheaper, some much more (dealers generally). Mine is the Sport with Satnav, although I sold the mk2 Sport wheels on my Mk1 and have the Mk1 Sport wheels on mine (plus a spare set of mk1 Sport wheels with winter tyres).

I would like a sat/nav sport combo but they seem even more scarce. Having said that either would surfice my only concern is the ride and you suggest both are smooth.Is there much differnce in the ride between the sport and standard. I guess it's afirmness thing?

We replaced my girlfriend's IS300 by a GS.

Was originally thinking of a GS300, but as the GS430 was not really more expensive second hand, I went for that and must say, really pleased.

Super car, super engine, not expensive to run (parts can be had cheaply online), very comfortable, much better finished than the plastic-USA-typed recent ones,... I can only recommend.

Count on 2500 for a nice GS430.

We replaced my girlfriend's IS300 by a GS.

Was originally thinking of a GS300, but as the GS430 was not really more expensive second hand, I went for that and must say, really pleased.

Super car, super engine, not expensive to run (parts can be had cheaply online), very comfortable, much better finished than the plastic-USA-typed recent ones,... I can only recommend.

Count on 2500 for a nice GS430.

Thanks The Swede,

I'm already sold on the 430 now both you and TigerFish have sung its praises. I have started looking in ernest as we speak. Fingers crossed the right ones out there somewhere.

There are much less 430's out there than 300's. But it's worth looking. The engine just adds so much value.

Even my girlfriend, who is not interested in cars at all, really loves its power and ease of driving.

Also, the 430's tend to be better spec'ed. Not sure all 300's for instance had Xenons standard, and many 430's have satnav.

Fuel-wise, they're not much apart, especially as the 430 engine does not need to do so much effort.

There appears to be some mix and match going on regards interiors. I can't say I'm overly keen on the wood effect on the dash as well as the console to me it overpowers the look. I quite like the plain black and what appears to be carbon effect on the steering wheel look with dark grey leather. I really am being picky now. Note to self find a 430 first.

The wood is actually really nice in the Mk II. Feels really warm, unlike the fake stuff in many german cars or in the Mk III GS.

Not much wood on the central console though. Only the surround of the gear selector and the buttons of the seatheating.

IMG_0700C.jpg

IMG_0702C.jpg

Thanks TigerFish,

Looks like the 430 then as there is no way I will not try one :). Like you my journeys will be quite short in general but having said that we are contemplating taking the right vehicle for a spin around europe.

I have been looking around and as I said I'm looking up to £2500. Not much in my part of the world (Plymouth) at the moment in either size other then a few higher milers without full histories, which I'd prefer see on any car, and needing possible cambelt changes. What would I expext to pay for a good example of the 430? I am happy to travel for the right car.

I think a decent low mileage 430 with full Lexus service history would cost you more like £4,000 to £4500. The market is starting to pick up slightly and there are very few GS430's about....especially low milers with FLSH. Trying to buy a cheap one could end up costing you a lot more money in the long run.

I feel I must add the GS300 is still a nice car and shouldn't be ruled out especially if you find the right spec colour combo you are after

No your quite right I would be silly to dismiss any car until I have actually looked or tried one. I guess also as you suggest the look does play a big part in what a person buys

I think a decent low mileage 430 with full Lexus service history would cost you more like £4,000 to £4500. The market is starting to pick up slightly and there are very few GS430's about....especially low milers with FLSH. Trying to buy a cheap one could end up costing you a lot more money in the long run.

I have seen a couple around the 2900 mark which appear to have good history, mileage around 80-90k. Having said that i would have to see them and not accept what some ad was telling me about how good they are. Trouble is as I said there is nothing nearby at the moment. So it's either wait or travel a couple of hundred miles just to see one .

I've not been fortunate to drive a GS430 so I can't comment on performance, but I must say, I love my GS300.

The GS300 shares a very popular engine (supra, cresta, IS300, soarer) which is why I went for the GS300. That's not to say I didn't choose it for any other reason :)

Have a feel for both and go from there

I've not been fortunate to drive a GS430 so I can't comment on performance, but I must say, I love my GS300.

The GS300 shares a very popular engine (supra, cresta, IS300, soarer) which is why I went for the GS300. That's not to say I didn't choose it for any other reason :)

Have a feel for both and go from there

The closest I've got to any of those you mentioned is either a 2.2 Camry which I liked alot or an MR2 neither of which had the style or engine size of the Gs aand to be fair not in the same catergory. Other then Toyota/Lexus I was always a big Audi fan but you without doubt pay that much more for not only the quality, Which some of the models I owned was questionable and the name. Thats why I am looking elsewhere and much of what I have read tells me people love these cars. I dare say there are those who have had Lemons but I am not seeing many.

.Is there much differnce in the ride between the sport and standard. I guess it's afirmness thing?

Sport has 18" wheels and firmer/lower suspension, so is a firmer ride. Standard has 17" wheels and softer springs.

Also, the 430's tend to be better spec'ed. Not sure all 300's for instance had Xenons standard, and many 430's have satnav.

from what I remember, all GS430 models have Xenons, Sport model of the GS300 have them and were an option on standard GS300 models.

I think Satnav was an option on all models.

I can't say I'm overly keen on the wood effect on the dash as well as the console to me it overpowers the look.

Most Sport models (not entirely sure why some don't, maybe it was an option not to have it) have black walnut trim, so would suit your tastes more from what you say. You could retro fit the black walnut from a breaker if all else fails I guess.

And also agree with the others, the GS300 is still a worthy car.

Most Sport models (not entirely sure why some don't, maybe it was an option not to have it) have black walnut trim, so would suit your tastes more from what you say. You could retro fit the black walnut from a breaker if all else fails I guess.

And also agree with the others, the GS300 is still a worthy car.

The black wood was fitted to all GS430 models with the exception of those specced with Suffolk trim which had walnut and leather steering wheel and walnut trim. Not really sure what the black wood is as I've only seen it referred to as black wood. Personally I prefer the Suffolk trim as I felt the black trim made the car feel smaller and less airy when I was looking at different GS430's prior to changing from my Mk 1 Sport to my GS430. Mine is a GS430 SE Nav and has the 18" wheels as fitted to the sport model and they were fitted as a factory fit option so you may find other "non sport models" with the 18" wheels.

Ah, that explains that then on the 430's. What colour is Suffolk trim? I guess if it is beige, the black walnut panels would look a bit odd maybe. Both the black and grey trims I've had used the black walnut/wood.

Ah, that explains that then on the 430's. What colour is Suffolk trim? I guess if it is beige, the black walnut panels would look a bit odd maybe. Both the black and grey trims I've had used the black walnut/wood.

My interior is a beige colour so I expect it is Suffolk.......unless Suffolk is type of trim rather than colour?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links