Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rx300 18" Alloy Refurb

Have recently purchased a silver RX300 that looks like brand new apart from the pitted alloys that I know can be a common problem.

Can anyone recommend a procedure they have undertaken to return their alloys back to pristine condition?

Would appreciate advice regarding price paid, where the restoration was done, type of finish, colour etc. and maybe some pictures of your resurrected alloys if possible please.

Have recently purchased a silver RX300 that looks like brand new apart from the pitted alloys that I know can be a common problem.

Can anyone recommend a procedure they have undertaken to return their alloys back to pristine condition?

Would appreciate advice regarding price paid, where the restoration was done, type of finish, colour etc. and maybe some pictures of your resurrected alloys if possible please.

Many firms advertise the service, try one where you live,

Mine were refurbished by Lexus - twice. I cannot tell you what procedure they followed, however beware: the first time the work was carried out, the wheels looked brand new. However, a few months later I had new tyres fitted and some of the paint/lacquer flaked off in the process. It would appear that, when the wheels were re-lacquered, the work was done with the tyres in situ. This resulted in a "proud edge" to the paint, which caused it to flake off each wheel as the tyres were removed.

Lexus agreed to have the work done again at their cost.

In short, it is worth double checking that, before the procedure is carried out, the tyres will be either completely deflated, or removed altogether.

I took my RX400h to the local Chips Away, who were offering a special deal on refurbing alloys. The guy was really good, and said that he has this problem all the time with Lexus, and whilst he could do a quick refurb, it would not last. The Lexus alloy is so bad, that if Lexus will not provide a replacement wheel, then they need to be fully sand blasted, without the tyre and valve, to take all the old alloy off, and re-alloyed - he quoted me £65 per wheel plus VAT - I have not yet had the time/bottle to do this, but they are getting worse every day, so I will have to bite the bullet very soon. I cannot see the point in simple refurb, as the alloys would never restore properly - full blasting and re-alloy seems to me to be the only solution. As other points on this BB have said, Lexus just do not want to know.

Hi Paullord. Per luckyduck the best option is a full refurb. Not heard of shotblasting but had mine acid dipped, refurbed and then power coated. I kept the colour standard and i'm really happy with the finish - no blistering, lifting of paint or change in colour. I paid £65 per wheel. Took about a week and well worth it. I used a local firm to me (Kent).

I don't think it's worth getting a refurb done with the tyres still attached (where they just break the bead). Not having use if the car for a week is a bit of pain but small price to pay for a decent job.

Good luck

I can't recommend anywhere but I will say choose your re-furbisher carefully, I'm losing count of the amount of wheels I'm seeing with the back plate powder-coated. This can melt under brake-heat and you'll end up with the wheel nuts loosening and the worse scenario of losing a wheel (or 2) whilst driving :shutit:

I have had many wheels refurbed on toyota's and previous lexus, all were shot blasted and powder coated and lasted the time I owned the vehicles, father in law had his LS wheels done some 6 years ago and they still look good. Lexus replaced my wheels free of charge 18months ago with refurbed wheels and after just a few months these are corrodeing again, and my car sits in garage and only used when weather is nice and dry and then it gets cleaned!! This summer I will be having these refurbed myself , normally £60.00 per wheel. Once done right they will last.

you do not say whether the car was purchased from a Lexus dealer or how old it is... Any chance the dealer you got it from may be willing to contribute towards the cost?

you do not say whether the car was purchased from a Lexus dealer or how old it is... Any chance the dealer you got it from may be willing to contribute towards the cost?

Dan,

I purchased my car from a independent trader and it is 8 years old. For a car of it`s age it is in pristine condition apart from the pitted alloys which IMHO let it down badly.

Am now very much looking forward to getting the wheels sorted. Once again thanks for all the suggestions.

Will update further once the job has been done.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links