Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Sold Ls400 - But Back Again After A Year

Hi everyone - I'm sure no-one will remember me but I had an LS400 Mark IV in 2010 which I sold just over a year later. And now I find myself missing the car enough that I fancy getting into one again. Lexus love I guess :).

I've been keeping an eye out for a while but as usual, there are people masquerading as private sellers when they are really traders, then there are the ones who obviously don't like to communicate via email. And the ones who never respond to the questions you've asked and instead give their own answers, carefully omitting the other answers you want.

There is what looks like a reasonable 400 here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1998-LEXUS-LS400-BALMORAL-BRONZE-LIMITED-EDITION-D-H-P-F-L-S-H-LONG-MOT-AND-TAX-/380593423597?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item589d22c4ed

But I'm not really enamoured by the seller. I've noticed that he sells LS400's a lot and always has a reason as to why they are not right for him. Reasons have ranged from "Wife doesn't like the colour", "I've got too many", "I'm after a 430", "I want a ......." the list goes on. Yet I see the word "honest" in the descriptions! A friend has actually met the seller and he comes across as very charming but when he asked how long he'd had one LS400 he said about 6 months - in actual fact it turned out to be 2.

I have cash available and the second time around I think I know what to look for in terms of common problems on Mark IV's. Question is "Would you go to a seller like the above if you felt a little uncomfortable about it even if they had what looks like a reasonable car?

Looks like a great motor & THAT reg. no. must be worth something being on a 400. Also it appears he's a dealer so has to be aware of the Sale of Goods Act which means you can take action if he doesn't tell you the truth

I know him. Hes barry from bolton. He is a very nice guy. He isnt a trader. He does love his lexus ls400's. Hes the reason i got to love them aswell..Thing with him is I think he gets bored and sometimes wants a different colour lexus etc etc. But right now hes looking for one of the later ls400's a 2000 model thats why hes selling this one. Hes got 3 now. Hes selling 2 of them. His wife pat does moan at him for buying too many. Ive asked him myself why buy 3? But he is an honest guy Baz is. That one hes advertising is mint. He wants my 2000 model for it, but im hanging on to mine.

Hi everyone - I'm sure no-one will remember me but I had an LS400 Mark IV in 2010 which I sold just over a year later. And now I find myself missing the car enough that I fancy getting into one again. Lexus love I guess :).

I've been keeping an eye out for a while but as usual, there are people masquerading as private sellers when they are really traders, then there are the ones who obviously don't like to communicate via email. And the ones who never respond to the questions you've asked and instead give their own answers, carefully omitting the other answers you want.

There is what looks like a reasonable 400 here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1998-LEXUS-LS400-BALMORAL-BRONZE-LIMITED-EDITION-D-H-P-F-L-S-H-LONG-MOT-AND-TAX-/380593423597?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item589d22c4ed

But I'm not really enamoured by the seller. I've noticed that he sells LS400's a lot and always has a reason as to why they are not right for him. Reasons have ranged from "Wife doesn't like the colour", "I've got too many", "I'm after a 430", "I want a ......." the list goes on. Yet I see the word "honest" in the descriptions! A friend has actually met the seller and he comes across as very charming but when he asked how long he'd had one LS400 he said about 6 months - in actual fact it turned out to be 2.

I have cash available and the second time around I think I know what to look for in terms of common problems on Mark IV's. Question is "Would you go to a seller like the above if you felt a little uncomfortable about it even if they had what looks like a reasonable car?

I was never sure about mine, whether it was trade or not but it's been fine so there are decent traders around. But I guess we would be a lot happier if they just came out with it instead of trying to deceive. Hope you find a good one and welcome back!

Phil

Looks like a great motor & THAT reg. no. must be worth something being on a 400. Also it appears he's a dealer so has to be aware of the Sale of Goods Act which means you can take action if he doesn't tell you the truth

Just noted the number ain't for sale mores the pity

I know him. Hes barry from bolton. He is a very nice guy. He isnt a trader. He does love his lexus ls400's. Hes the reason i got to love them aswell..Thing with him is I think he gets bored and sometimes wants a different colour lexus etc etc. But right now hes looking for one of the later ls400's a 2000 model thats why hes selling this one. Hes got 3 now. Hes selling 2 of them. His wife pat does moan at him for buying too many. Ive asked him myself why buy 3? But he is an honest guy Baz is. That one hes advertising is mint. He wants my 2000 model for it, but im hanging on to mine..

Great. As many of us own multiple Lexus's tell him to join the club. He may even find buyers for his cars. He'll certainly get a sympathetic hearing when it comes to moaning wives

Thanks Messi - that's good to know. If he's already a forum member I'm sure he'll be willing to discuss his love of the car! The only thing that concerns me is when people sell a car after such a short time with it. Either it's got a problem or they're a trader. Other reasons like "My wife doesn't like it" or "It's too big for the wife" or "She wanted blue instead of black" etc I don't buy for one moment. But I'm sure genuine ones do happen - if someone loses their job or the car is for sale through bereavement etc.

The car does look very good - as a forum member has put in a good word I'd be tempted to find out more. But I always look at the possibility of having to sell my car in a hurry in the future and how negative it looks if there have been previous owners who've only had it a short while.

LS400's seem to come up quite frequently, good ones not so much. My budget is £2500 and not a penny more. I'm confident that will get me another good 400.

And thanks Phil !

That one hes advertising is mint. Its unmarked aswell..what is the difference between his 98 and my 2000 model? Is there any difference?

I don't think there is a difference save for the number plate. But isn't it odd? We all know that good ones are hard to find. So here's one which seems to tick all the boxes, excellent condition, DHP wheels, big fat history file with recent cam belt. Surely he would know himself how difficult it is to find a car as good as this one appears to be so why sell it for something which is marginally newer and which will (I assume) be wearing his private number plate on it so disguising the age of the vehicle anyway?

The mind boggles. In fact I think you've just confirmed in my mind that this may not be the one for me this time.

Welcome back you know it makes sense.

When you or anyone else sees good old Baz ask him why he cant just write in a normal fashion that is easy on the eyes. I know I am old but I just cant see why typing everything in red and underlined is necessary. I lost the will to live around line 3.

I am with those who are calling for caution. Good old Baz may well be a nice bloke but there are plenty of prisons full of nice blokes, trouble is they don't mind breaking the odd law to suit themselves.

I am sure this has been on here before. Questions, Cam Belt, Has it a full service history, is it registered a Cat C/D etc. Don't forget the DHP wheels need bigger tyres which are more expensive.

These wonderful cars are difficult to shift which means you are in the driving seat so whoever you buy from push for as hard a deal as you can to get the best price for you. Mike

I think he has joined the club. Hes the one who bought that nice v reg ls400 couple of weeks ago.

If he's club member that can only help his reputation as a Lexus car owner/seller

Thanks Messi - that's good to know. If he's already a forum member I'm sure he'll be willing to discuss his love of the car! The only thing that concerns me is when people sell a car after such a short time with it. Either it's got a problem or they're a trader. Other reasons like "My wife doesn't like it" or "It's too big for the wife" or "She wanted blue instead of black" etc I don't buy for one moment. But I'm sure genuine ones do happen - if someone loses their job or the car is for sale through bereavement etc.

The car does look very good - as a forum member has put in a good word I'd be tempted to find out more. But I always look at the possibility of having to sell my car in a hurry in the future and how negative it looks if there have been previous owners who've only had it a short while.

LS400's seem to come up quite frequently, good ones not so much. My budget is £2500 and not a penny more. I'm confident that will get me another good 400.

And thanks Phil !

Don't be put off When I came back to Lexus late last year I bought FOUR within 8 weeks :whistling: Since then I've sold two a 300 & 400 I bought them with the express intention of doing them up & selling them, in fact after I get it checked out by Lexus Poole I'll probably sell my other GS300 leaving me with one :doggy: for the moment :whistling:

That one hes advertising is mint. Its unmarked aswell..what is the difference between his 98 and my 2000 model? Is there any difference?

I don't think there is a difference save for the number plate. But isn't it odd? We all know that good ones are hard to find. So here's one which seems to tick all the boxes, excellent condition, DHP wheels, big fat history file with recent cam belt. Surely he would know himself how difficult it is to find a car as good as this one appears to be so why sell it for something which is marginally newer and which will (I assume) be wearing his private number plate on it so disguising the age of the vehicle anyway?

The mind boggles. In fact I think you've just confirmed in my mind that this may not be the one for me this time.

Don't be put off by the private number Ask him to sent a photo of the V5 Also you can check it out by using HPI You simply put in the reg no on-line & it'll tell you everything you need to know It'll also tell you what the previous no was

Don't be put off by the private number Ask him to sent a photo of the V5
Also you can check it out by using HPI You simply put in the reg no
on-line & it'll tell you everything you need to know It'll also tell
you what the previous no was

And thanks Phil !

Don't be put off When I came back to Lexus late last year I bought FOUR within 8 weeks :whistling: Since then I've sold two a 300 & 400 I bought them with the express intention of doing them up & selling them, in fact after I get it checked out by Lexus Poole I'll probably sell my other GS300 leaving me with one :doggy: for the moment :whistling:

That's just plain greedy, but it shows how much you love them. Mike

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links