Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ls430 315K Ns Suspension Noise

Frostyboy123

Ok, but embarrassing mechanic by trade just been off the tools for a while ...

I get a noise on my suspension NSF . The noise is highly noticeable on hitting a pot hole or slightly uneven road surface or speed hump. It's not a clunk, it's more of a rattling noise but not tinny . Looked at all the bushes all looks fine and all subframe bolts tight and everything seems ok. When car is jacked up there's obviously tension on the drop links, this is what I thought it was, but can't check properly as there's tension on them. The tie rod ends boot is split, but no movement . Now when I took the cover off the NSF top strut cover I noticed, after making sure all is tight that the "cup" the strut too sits in, ie inner wing cup/ holder, has signs of a slight marking on the edges closest to the engine bay, as if the strut has been moving towards the engine bay...

For anyone who understands it really does sound like a drop link..... It's exactly that type of sound that I am hearing ....

Has anyone come across this same noise as I don't want to start just replacing without being sure, the info I have given may be red herrings but the noise is the definate drop link noise?? God knows

Before doing anything else check all the exhaust heatshields/guards as the fixings tend to rot and the things start flapping around, one of mine had dropped onto the rear box and did exactly as you describe going over bumps.

Drop links are not too expensive so it may be worth following your diagnosis and replacing it anyway.

Bottom ball joints are common but you can normally see any play in them with the wheel raised and using a pry bar, same with the top arm.

There have been problems with the top strut mounts causing knocking noises when worn.

Not sure if the brake calipers are the same as the earlier LS400s but these have also been known to cause knocking, easy to check see if the noise goes if you gently apply the brakes going over the same piece of road.

Yeah think I may disconnect the drop links and go for a drive round the block see if it disappears , I think it's the top mounts though as one minute it's quiet then, if I go over consecutive holes, it seems to reappear as if the things moved into a knocking spot rather than wedged in a non knocking spot

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links