Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Sat Nav/bluetooth Removal/replacement

Just a few questions I need to ask, as I don't want to google all day then google for reviews all day tomorrow.......

In my recently purchased 03, IS200 I have a sat nav fitted - a Kenwood KNA-DV3200 (which I have no idea how to use). It looks like a professional fitting job, with the DVD drive for the map disc in the boot. And there is a Nokia CK-7W Bluetooth receiver, which again looks like a very neat & tidy installation.

My questions are:

Is it worth ripping these units out to sell them?

Would I be able to fit an oem sat nav unit from another IS? I have seen the units on eBay for about £100, but is there anything else I would need for it to work? (Never use sat nav, I prefer to map read, but the hole in the top of the dash would need to be filled), and would I need any other connectors or drives?

Ideally, I would love to be able to connect my Iphone 5 and iPad via Bluetooth so I could make and receive calls and play music from the phone, are there any all in one units that can do this?

I don't think there is a cd multi changer in there, don't particularly want one either so I presume there is a spare connector block on the back of the stereo for something.....

Anyone got any views/opinions on this? I much prefer word of mouth than reviews on the net......

Thank you in advance,

Paul

Doesnt the current system have Bluetooth and aux in for your Iphone? You dont want to play music over Bluetooth btw (A2DP) as its poor quality

The oem lexus sat nav is very dated, i have it in mine. Its a good navigator but thats about it, no Bluetooth, MP3, DVD, backup cam, SD or anything like that....

Not as far as I am aware, I'm going to have an hour with it & the manual I have on my iPad, see if I can figure the thing out.

My Iphone connects to the Nokia Bluetooth but I have no volume at all.

I'm not too fussed about the quality of the music, I'm a musician/producer so I don't really listen to much outside work, my other half has hers rigged up via Bluetooth in her quashqai and that sounds good enough for what I need it for.

This kenwood is really dated, it must have been fitted when the car was almost new, it needs a new map DVD, but the cheapest I've seen them for is about £130, so I would rather rip it out to be honest......

I've spent an hour or so figuring out the sat nav - conclusion - if my mate ups his offer from £50 he can have it, it's more complicated than anything I've ever used and not worth the hassle in my opinion.......

My CD player has thrown up error3, so I took it out, got the disc out and now all that works is the radio..... I hate the bloody radio.....

So, any recommendations for an aftermarket stereo? One with Iphone connectivity to play music and make and receive calls? And would I be able to get one the same size as the manufacturers one as I'm not that keen on blanking plates....

Sorry, my mistake, i have the standard stereo 6 cd changer unit which is now no good due to error3, and i have an aftermarket sat nav unit - the kenwood, and i have a nokia Bluetooth unit. All of which i want rid of for one stereo that will allow Bluetooth connectivity to answer calls & play music off my Iphone.... Not bothered about sat nav at all, i've always prefered maps, i even use the Iphone as a map & not a navigation device, must be showing my age :P

Ok. The easiest option would be to get another lexus unit and additionally buy a GROM, simply because the wiring will be in place and will all be just plug and play.

Other option (if your worried about error3 coming up again) is to replace with a double din or single din after market system with Bluetooth. You would have to buy pass the Lexus amp by the glove box. You can get some pretty simple units with Bluetooth but if you wanted to step it up you can get touch screen systems without navigation between £100 - £200 that are pretty cool. The JVC KW range is popular and dont cost a arm and a leg

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_878201_langId_-1_categoryId_237503

The backlit colour can also be changed to red to match IS....

I'm liking the look of that, i was looking at an Alpine unit but twice the price, that seems a lot more reasonable!

Do i have to bypass the amp? And will i get as good a sound if i do? May seem like stupid questions, but ICE has never been my thing really :D

Yes you have to bypass the amp with a aftermarket unit.

Ive always speculated that the sound quality surely cannot match the stock setup considering the only power you have for those 8 speakers is the in built surface mounted amp in the headunit but im sure someone who has actually done it will advice....

Those JVC are certainly good value for a double din and the older model that are practically the same you would pick up even cheaper used. You could buy a single din unit with a facia adapter for around £50 if money is tight but wont look as good in my opinion

That's a pity, that's the main thing that has surprised me about this car, the sound system is brilliant for a standard setup!

Although I do have a mate or two that know their way around this sort of thing, so it may be worth a phone call....

To be honest I don't mind paying the money if its going to do the job well and look the part, and I really like the look of that JVC :)

Ive seen ppl say the sound quality is the same, but ide want to hear for myself, got a good ear for sound - it runs in the family!

Im not sure of the reasoning behind having to bypass the amp, its just what ive read on here. Im guessing a pre amp can be used with the JVC? My dads done this when upgrading his speakers in his cars.

I was going to update my system originally, but my car has optional navi and is wired up all through the stereo and if i mess with it ive read it wont work. Im going to get a GROM when i can justify the £100 price tag! but for now im using one of these. Its a FM transmitter with Bluetooth. Cant go wrong for a tenner.

2013-03-06_15-14-06_186_zps588e5009.jpg

The reason for the bypass is the aftermarket headunit only uses 6 of the 8 standard speakers. The rear 2 are double stacked (woofer and midrange), the woofer is 4 ohm whereas all others a re 2ohm resistance.So the woofer is cut out.

On mine i used wiring diagram and added rca plugs to amp inputs, then used pre-outs on aftermarket stereo. Best of both worlds then ...aftermarket headunit using lexus amp and all 8 speakers.

I've read a lot about those grom units and am very very tempted. It's just the fact that the cd is now kaput that I want to replace the whole unit, tis a shame as I was very impressed with the whole standard setup......

But if its as simple as connecting some RCA's (which I have a few lying around), then I think that's the way to go. Thanks for the info as well, much appreciated :)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links