Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is200 Transmission Loss?

is153

As above roughly how much horse power does the is200 loss transferring power from the flywheel to the wheels?

Yes I know moskt will differer from others but what would you say is the average or acceptable amount?

Thanks

most tuners always say manual cars loose 10-15% drive loss and automatics loose between 15-20% drive losses.

based on my maths and using 15%, the manual IS200 will loose around 22 bhp through the drive train and only have around 130bhp at the wheels to play with.

below is website which helps you calculate wheel horsepower of any car. not too accurate but the results you get are close.

http://www.mk5cortinaestate.co.uk/calculator4.php

and this helps you find the real 0-60 mph of any car when you put your figures in the car stats calculator section on the left. and i must say the results are quiet accurate as i entered figures for IS200, IS300 and IS-F and other cars and they were about right. all fun stuff :)

http://www.torquestats.com/modified/index.php?pid=calculator&action=calculate_times&drive=RWD&bhp=155&weight=1380&submit=Calculate

Lol fwd cars mostly lose 15 to 20 % rwd and 4wd cars can lose upto 50%.

And my is200 had a dyno today and i lost 39.9bhp which thats a lot more than 10 or 15% lol.

really?? most tuners always say 10-15% for manual rwd and 15-20% for automatic rwd but like you said all depends on car and state of condition, mileage and tune. have you carried out the service and oil changes yet before the dyno? was the 113bhp at the crank or the wheels then?

117hp@6373rpm at the wheels.

Also lexus says the is200 has 160ps which works out to be 158bhp not 153bhp that stated everywhere.

And no I hanvt done the service yet.

But from factory figures im down on bhp and torque.

which translates to roughly 145bhp at the crank if IS200's came with 158bhp from factory that's only 13bhp lost from the 13year old car without service done on it . thats still good i recon a good service will restore some horses. gona dyno mine sometime too.. you still thinking of doing engine mods?

oh and which gear was it dyno'd at?

Mine is 8 1/2 years old with 57k on the clock and was serviced at 50k with new plugs and an oil change service at 55k. It does 0-60 in 8.5 all day long which is better that the book. It has been driven on vpower/optimax since I bought it on 39k and pulls like a train going up hills. I know that there are some better than others even at the same mileage but I happy with the way mine goes. I would like to get it dyno'd sometime just to see. Only engine mod I have is a k&n filter which does very little but make economic sense.

you right Andy i have seen most IS200's hit 60mph in 8 secs which makes me believe the 9.2 claimed by Lexus was a bit conservative or maybe the engine becomes faster or more responsive once it breaks in so its still not a slow car as people claim. haven't worked out 0-60 in mine but i will put my money on 7 secs and it feels quick. keep it between 4600 and 6200rpm and it pulls. i still remember when i test drove one when looking to buy an IS and the engine note sounds like a boxer engine :) .

which translates to roughly 145bhp at the crank if IS200's came with 158bhp from factory that's only 13bhp lost from the 13year old car without service done on it . thats still good i recon a good service will restore some horses. gona dyno mine sometime too.. you still thinking of doing engine mods?

oh and which gear was it dyno'd at?

Yeah intake mods and exhaust mods first then transmission then wheels and tyres then suspension.

Not sure it was in 4th or 5th as it topped out at 109mph.

Luke what exact mods are you going to do engine wise and how much power do you hope to get? For me I always do the suspension first and power last, but that's just me.

Luke what exact mods are you going to do engine wise and how much power do you hope to get? For me I always do the suspension first and power last, but that's just me.

Intake

Custom piping

Piperx cone

Ported t/b

Exhaust

6-2-1 manifold

Custom manifold back exhaust

Transmission

Lightened single mass flywheel

Stage 2 clutch

Short shifter

Eninge aux's

Custom lightened alloy pulleys

Lightened crank pulley

Remove a/c system

And maybe more

Also theres smaller wheels for power handing and 0 -60 times

Lexus is200 handles like ****, she rolls like feck which to fix all of her problems im going to leave the hardest till last.

I always upgrade whats needed most and for the size of the car she needs more power, also ive got a spare 75bhp nos kit so thats goibg in to :P

as for how much power im looking to reducing the trans loss by half and having over 200bhp while still n/a.

I side with Andy on this one most people jump on engine mods first including me. until i watched a documentary interview with the chief engineer of Honda Integra Type R and he said always start from bottom up.

so if I should start going into mods again, this would be mine in order of importance.

• upgrade brake discs and pads to performance ones
  • upgrade Tyres to performance ones
  • lower ride height maybe by 10mm using Eibach sport springs
  • install rigid bushes
  • upgrade front/rear sway bars to Eibach's
  • fit front and rear strut braces for more rigidness
  • have it WIM'd

take car for a spin and see if stock power gets put down effectively in corners and car stops very late before approching a corner before I start throwing money into the engine. Nos will be one cheap but effective mod tho.. :)

Sway bars lol thought you was from uk? There anit roll bars lol, also my mate just binned a set of them for white line ones and said there 10x better than eibachs.

Im using performance tyres lol thats why my tyre size is 215/24ZR17 lol, im fitting poly bushes and lower sturt braces upper ones are just for looks, braking wise the lexus is spot on for its power and on really need uprating for track or 300bhp.

i know.. lived in US for a couple of years in my teens.. yeh the braking system on the IS's are quiet good am running pads and discs from Pagids i got from Eurocar parts nothing too extreme but i must say they stopping my IS quiet good..

Its becuase of the sizes, the is200 is the same size as a ford focus mk1 and the is200 front discs are 35mm bigger and the rear are 60mm bigger with two pots, my brother lives out there makes me laugh what he calls somethins lol.

that prob explains why it stops effectively.. i find my self braking late in some distances which i would have braked early if i was in my V6 Ford Cougar.

Im yet to measure the 0-60, i am curious i must say just because on paper my IS isnt any faster than my last Ford Focus but it sure hell feels it. Not that im bothered tbh, wouldnt of bought a IS if i wanted something fast....

As for brakes i have to say ive noticed some issues. 90% of the time the brakes are spot on but there has been times when they havent performed. I think when the cars still cold, but havent pin pointed it

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links