Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Wim Booking Online

Hi all. I was just booking my car at WIM for its alignment and geometry but the site went via blackboots.com and recommended Discount Tyres in Cwmbran. The blackboots.com uses the same photos as WIM and has the same write up, has anyone used Discount Tyres in Cwmbran to have their alignment and geometry done? It would certainly be closer than Bristol for me.

Thing is there are plenty of garages all across the country that have the same equipment Tony does but they don't have his settings. They will set your car up the same as Lexus did leaving the factory. Those settings have proved to be flawed, it creates excessive inner tyre wear. Tony took up the challenge of getting even tyre wear without comprising ride quality or handling. He used donor cars for this and monitored them over a period of time to get the best settings for the IS200.

So yeah you could take it anywhere that has laser alignment but it won't be as good as if you go to see Tony.

• Like 1

Right, so where Blackboots.com and Wheels In Motion have a number of centres they recommend only Tony in Chesham will set the alignment with his own settings, as opposed to the Lexus settings that other places may use? It is Tony Bones? Just to ensure I'm on the correct website . . .

http://www.wheels-inmotion.co.uk/blackboots-location.php

This is where Tony is. Don't know if the other centres will use his settings but everybody seems to make the special effort to drive to Chesham to see Tony Bones (The Dr)

Including me. :)

I have to go back soon so if u fancy going up in Tandem let me know.

The steering and handling is so much stiffer now and feels 100 times better. Car is swaying a little still and likes to wander to the left! Lol... So I need to go to WIM. I was going to go last friday but I had a few too many Thursday night so didn't feel like it! :lol:

I looked into this last year after fitting new suspension bits (getting a "WiM" alignment done at one of the franchised outlets) and apparently once you book an alignment online, Tony will then forward "his" geometry settings on to the person in the garage who'll be working on your car. So, in theory, you'll be getting the same spec alignment in the local outlet as you would showing up at WiM, in person.

The website was borked when I tried to order though so I never went through with it. I see it's working fine now though...

Anyone able to confirm this is how it works when dealing with a franchised outlet?

I would like to think, that as Tony has a good relationship with a number of LOC members and, is thus aware of the LOC, if we book through the website and go to a 'more local for some of us' garage, the service should be similar, I u derstand the facilities in Chesham are fantastic though.

I would like to think, that as Tony has a good relationship with a number of LOC members and, is thus aware of the LOC, if we book through the website and go to a 'more local for some of us' garage, the service should be similar, I u derstand the facilities in Chesham are fantastic though.

Yeah you're right Stuart but I actually want Tony to set my car up, after meeting him and chatting to him. What he doesn't know about car geometry isn't worth knowing!

• Like 1

Yeah you're right Stuart but I actually want Tony to set my car up, after meeting him and chatting to him. What he doesn't know about car geometry isn't worth knowing!

Just be aware that it won't necessarily be Tony doing your car, he isn't always there or isn't always free to do all alignments. The other chaps there know what they are doing though :)

Chris, let me know when you plan to, and I might meet you there if I can

Yeah will do Matt. It'll be a Monday most probably as that's when I'm normally off.

Only weekdays I get off are Mondays now, however I only get one a month off, and today is that Monday!

Likewise. When I had mine done, it was at the MK site (which they no longer operate from I believe) and it wasn't Tony that did it, but the guys that did do it were very good, and of course it was done on their HawkEye machine, so it was spot on.

Hi guys, I've just been emailing Tony from WIM. He said that he emails the settings to the other depots that the franchise use and that he will then police the work, so if there are any issues, there is support. I'm probably going to use the Cwmbran site, simply because it is so much closer to me than Chesham.

I've got the car booked in for the rear parking sensors to be replaced next Wednesday and then I'm going to debate for a long time about getting Eibach springs and Anti-Roll bars. Lowering the SportCross by 20mm to help improve efficiency on the motorway and to improve the handling in general.

I have just had the work completed by John at Discount Tyres in Cwmbran. He had the email from Tony and programmed the settings in and was a delight to speak to. I spent over an hour with him at the alignment machine talking about the cars.

The is200 feels great. 1º10 negative camber on the back wheels is fantastic for grip when cornering and makes the car feel planted. J can see why so many people have had it done.

Oh and on a separate note. My fuel light came on at 425.9 miles this week.!

First thing I noticed when I had mine done, was how smooth it drove. It drove smooth anyway, but surprisingly more so after. Also, having a 100% straight steering wheel was a bonus too! Don't think I've ever had a car that had a steering wheel dead on centre when going straight!

But I know what you mean about cornering. There's a fantastic banked S bend at the M11/M25 junction, and after having the WIM done, the IS flies through there at 85 with no qualms! Firm, planted, and no scrub. Love it!

• 1 month later...

You book it in and it takes about 45 mins to an hour.

It doesn't make the ride more smoother as such, It didn't seem to on mine anyway not that I noticed. Depends on how far out your alignment is I suppose, but the car feels more solid and planted on the road, doesnt sway or drift and handles sooo much better. If you've noticed your front tyres wearing more on the inside then a WIM alignment will cure this saving you £££££'s in the long run on tyres :)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links