Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I have a 2004 LS430, which has a number of scratches and grazes with also some rust on one door panel.

I am considering a full or at least bottom half respray and wondered if anyone has an idea how much a good body shop would charge. (My wheels want doing as well but I've read that post and replies thank you)

Jim- North Yorkshire

Just as an idea...the respray on my Mercedes, cost me £2300 and covered the whole car except the roof. Might give you an idea, but the 400 cars are bigger than the old w124 mercs. So would probably be a bit more than I paid

Rust on a 2004 Lexus does not sound right.

Is there not a warranty for bodywork and paint.

I remember getting one side of an Audi 80 resprayed back in the early 90's at a phenominal sum met by my local Audi dealer under warranty as it had developed rust bubles in various places.

Eh, can't a detailer sort it with a proper machine polish aka a correction?

I am always amazed at how much a skilful detailer can achieve. Might be worth considering before going down the full respray route?

Respray to the bottom half is going to be expensive as all the cladding will have to come off ,the bumpers will need to come off and that is a lot of fixings.I agree with other posters get the rust checked for warranty and get a good bodyshop to detail and valet the car.In my experience cars do not like being pulled apart and never look the same after.

Thank you. This has given me food for thought. Some of the marks will probably polish out. All four corners have slight damage ( my fault) The rust bubbles on the door may be covered by warranty, I will check that out. The car has only 60000 on the clock as I don't do many miles pa and it runs beautifully so its a shame to have the bodywork let it down.Thanks again.

I have a 2004 LS430, which has a number of scratches and grazes with also some rust on one door panel.

I am considering a full or at least bottom half respray and wondered if anyone has an idea how much a good body shop would charge. (My wheels want doing as well but I've read that post and replies thank you)

Jim- North Yorkshire

Hi Lord Jim

Check out frostyboy's (Paul) topic and the posts, of a couple of weeks ago, about rust on door panels before you start painting anything. If you have rust on the outside and you have an early 430 then it may have come through from the inside - yes it sounds unbelievable but read the topic - in which case you may need to invoke the body guarantee. Paul posted how to take the door cards off to check. I was lazy I paid the local garage £30 to do mine and take pictures.

Mine "War Wagon" also needs a respray - a lot of miles and years will cause that - however the respray will probably be 3 times the value of the car.

Good luck

Bren

My LS430 2000X had both front doors replaced by Lexus FOC under their 12 year warranty. The bubbling came from the inside half way up where the chrome trim is installed. The rust was very extensive but on the outside only manifested itself as a small bubble. Lexus and the dealer were very professional and helpful thus promoting my continued loyalty to the brand.

• 1 month later...

Just a quick update and thanks to all those replying, in particular Belas, Keith Bowler, ambermarine and Brendan. Lexus have today authorised work to my 430 to rectify the rust under terms of warranty. Good news. Obviously I will have to pay to have other damage sorted but I expected that as it was my fault. Thanks again everyone.

Lord Jim

Just a quick update and thanks to all those replying, in particular Belas, Keith Bowler, ambermarine and Brendan. Lexus have today authorised work to my 430 to rectify the rust under terms of warranty. Good news. Obviously I will have to pay to have other damage sorted but I expected that as it was my fault. Thanks again everyone.

Lord Jim

Dont you just love it when a plan comes together. Mike

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links