Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Well, my MoT expires in July so my intention is to take her in 30 days early and hopefully have a clean bill of health. The cam belt, tensioner, pulleys and water pump will then need doing, so my wallet is in for a bashing!!!

Toyota Shrewsbury quoted £810, as I posted some time ago. A recent post by a member near Chester had apparently had it done for £650 by Lexus Chester a year ago, sadly they have quoted me just short of £1000!!!!! So, my local garage in Wem will be doing it for £640, I hope.

My question is will any long life no silicate coolant do the job or must it be Toyota? They all seem to claim to be safe for alloy engines.

Many thanks, Mark.

Toyota red concentrate is not much more than aftermarket but don't buy the premix it does work out expensive.I think I was quoted around £25.00 for 5 litres on the concentrate.

For the sake of a few pounds I feel better with OEM coolant.

Thanks Steve, since posting I have ordered, from a well known auction site, 5L of Toyota red concentrate and 5L of de-ionised water. Whoever ends up doing my cam belt and water pump will at least have the correct coolant!!! Having spent a bit of time on the internet my research would indicate that it's not worth the risk!!! The only issue is, as with all second hand cars, I assume the red stuff in there is also Toyota.

Mark.

I had my cambelt etc (not the water pump as Lexus BHAM said it was fine) for £600 including the 100k service. I have a local mechanic who had quoted me £400 for everything including service but couldn't book me in for two weeks hence Lexus did it as I was going on holiday.

Make sure the people who do the work know what they are doing.

Ifty

Thanks Ifty, I have decided to go with the local garage as they do cam belts on a regular basis and did check out

what was required. To a certain extent I am in their hands but my other two alternative quotes were up to £360

more. She has 183000 on the clock and she is worth spending money on, but there is a limit to how much I can afford!!!

Mark.

MNP hi, just thought, by all means go with the local guy and save a fortune, I would do that, but remember that at 183k the water pump might need attention while the cambelt is being sorted ( your third cambelt change no doubt ? ) ..... if you look on here I think you will find the waterpump is a monster job if not done at the same time as the cambelt ...............

Just a thought, get other guys on here to comment about an economic fix if possible ..... or maybe your waterpump has already been serviced !

Malc

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links