Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Yellow Motor Warning Light On - Safe To Drive?

On the way home to visit family last night this light came on. Manual advises it's either total lack of petrol (not that) or problem with electronic throttle control.

Car seems to drive normally, just judders a bit when it's idling. Is it going to let me down or will I be ok to drive the 2 hours back to London and get my dealer to look at it?

IS200 Sport

Any thoughts much appreciated!

Cheers.

I wouldn't really like to say, obviously a fault has developed but without a diagnostic code read it could be lots of things.

What you don't want to do is drive it that distance and possibly cause further damage.

If you are in a breakdown organisation could you not call them out to your present location first, at least you will have more information as to the problem and then if they don't transport your car home make an informed choice.

I think your reading the handbook wrong mate. That's the the engine managment light (EML) the handbook may be saying to check the fuel and throttle body first before getting a diagnostic. It certainly isn't categorically one of those 2 things.

Your car is telling you there is a fault. You need a diagnostic to obtain the fault code which will tell where the problem is. It needs plugging into an OBD2 code reader to obtain the code.

Lexus will diagnose it for you for about £45. Or buy an OBD2 code reader from eBay and do it yourself. A list of OBD2 fault codes are here....

http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/

Codes staring with PO are generic for any car using OBD2.

A list of manufacturer specific codes is here...

These start with P1.

http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/lexus/

As you can see it could be many many things. As for driving the car, if it doesn't go into limp mode (can't go over 2500rpm) then the fault isn't going to damage your engine if you drive it, but you do need to sort this as you could be making things worse.

null_zpsa870e4c6.jpg

As you can see my handbook days take it to a dealer. I also read the bit about the fuel and throttle. It says and I quote

"a. The fuel tank is completely empty

b. there is a problem somewhere in your engine or automatic transmission electrical system.

If it comes on have your vehicle checked by a Lexus dealer as soon as possible.

If this lamp comes on and engine speed does not increase with the accelerator depressed there may be a problem somewhere with your electronic throttle control system"

It's not saying its def one of those two. Hope all this helps but bottom line is you need a diagnostic.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links