Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

A very nice tutorial, thank you for taking the time and trouble of producing it.

IIRC the device is called a thermistor, the resistance varies dependent on temperature.

By applying a voltage to it this will also vary and this voltage is input into the Climate Control ECU which enables it to make the necessary adjustments to the system to maintain the correct temperature in the car.

You are correct regarding the pipework behind the sensor it will probably suck air in ensuring the device is constantly and accurately monitoring the cabin air temperature.

Very interesting tutorial indeed. The minute I read this I rushed out to check the plastic cover in my 1996 Mk 3 LS400. My cover, unlike Eff's LS430, doesn't have any ventilation slats; it is just plain solid. This would lead me to believe that my car has no such temperature sensor there. I decided, therefore, to leave well alone. I notice that Eff's previous car was an LS400. Could Eff or Steve enlighten me please? Many thanks, Pepe

There is an post from 2006 on the forum where some Canadians suggest a clean up does help.

I would assume the dust causes extended thermal lag, in other words the thermistor takes time to see the actual ambient temperature, so in auto mode the climate control will blow harder for longer when it sees a temperature differential.

But once the device has reached a quiescent state it will be fine until you park up and let the car heat up or cool down.

So forget all this engineering techy speak and spend time drinking beer not cleaning sensors - but I may have a poke about in my Mk4 if I get time.

Very interesting tutorial indeed. The minute I read this I rushed out to check the plastic cover in my 1996 Mk 3 LS400. My cover, unlike Eff's LS430, doesn't have any ventilation slats; it is just plain solid. This would lead me to believe that my car has no such temperature sensor there. I decided, therefore, to leave well alone. I notice that Eff's previous car was an LS400. Could Eff or Steve enlighten me please? Many thanks, Pepe

I actually gave my MK4 a jolly good clean inside and out today, even buffed up all the leather work.

But I found where the sensor intake was.

It is to the left of the steering wheel and below the parking brake.

However you have to take the whole lower section of that part of the dash board out, so I have not bothered to see how clean (or dirty it is)

However looking at these photos, i reckon it is a case of getting some canned air and spraying the vent and then maybe a quick blast with the hoover to suck the crap out.

Being a bit of a camera nut in the past, I normally have some canned air about, so I will give it a go later, then I can find the valve head to go on the Kenair.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links