Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

58K On The Same Front Tyres

Well folks, the Lex went for its MOT yesterday and passed as usual.... Had 3 advisories, two for the two front tyres that are approaching needing to be replaced.... These are the same two tyres that the car left the factory with and are starting to look a little shabby... Interestingly the third svisory was for the rear NS tyre that was fitted at the same time as the other rear tyre..... The OS tyre was the original Michelin Pilot spare and the NS was a Pilot Exalto (I couldn't get what had originally had been fitted).. The OS tyre had very little wear indeed, yet the newer rubber was almost down to the wear bars, clearly the later tyre has a much softer compound than the originals...

Pretty impressive, but interested to know the age of the tyres. I think tyres have a "use by" date, and aren't advisable to be used for much longer than that, regardless of their tread level

It is an 05 car so those tyres are 8 years old.... It is UV light that causes the compound to decompose and indeed the surface is fairly cracked but the structure of the tyre is still sound and have been very pleased with the tyres... I have a new set of Avons in the garage that I'll pop on when I have time to strip the old tyres off and take the rims to be stripped and powder coated... The one good remaining tyre can go as a spare, it is still in very good condition and will last a long time in the darkness of the boot.

I agree with Matt. How old is your car and those tyres. Don't want to be running round on 10 year old tyres!

Good news about the MOT :)

I have mine Monday morning.

10 years old is nothing!! The tyres on my Lotus are original GoodYear NCT1 which have been on there for 23 years! Still look like new although the rears haven't got much tread left now but unable to buy the correct size/rating tyres for the rears anymore. Dont suppose any of you guys have any 235/60/VR15 tyres hanging around??

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links