Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

In-Car Cameras For Accident Protection

Teejaybee. I totally agree with you. If the insurance companies are recommending certain products, then there must be a reason why they are not recommending others. I'll probably end up getting one of the ones with built in GPS and speed monitoring.

I've ordered one of these - £20 ! :msn-oh:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/380655171269?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

I'm sure it's going to be fairly rubbish but I just want something to help backup my version of events in the event of an accident - weather, road conditions, traffic etc. and I don't want to spend 100s of pounds on it, especially since I haven't had an accident for 25 years and I'm only driving slower and slower... :innocent:

I'll let you know if it's any good after it arrives (delivery not due until Sept 20th :eerrrmm: )...

Should anyone with BlackVue DR400G-HD II camera be interested: I have successfully upgraded the firmware (from the official 1.040 English version) to increase the bitrate - actually, the new firmware gives control over bitrate used, so strictly speaking, one can decrease that too :msn-oh: - from default 7Mbps to 12Mbps.

Resulting video is of a noticeably better quality, and certainly an improvement on already high quality original recording settings; although inevitably, file size has gone up to about 90MB per minute, so 32GB card will handle just over 5hrs.

PM me for details of firmware upgrade, if interested :rolleyes:

got one of these for my car:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/1509-Mounting-recorder-Dashboard-Accident/dp/B004KI3FWI/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1378895764&sr=8-9&keywords=car+recorder

it's not the best in terms of resolution or quality, but a bargain at below £20. You will need to get an SD card with it, class 6 or better.

it records in 15 minute chunks, overriding the oldest chunk when the memory gets full.

The lead is nice and long and I was able to hide mine in the trim, so it sits next to my rear view mirror, out of my way and does the job. Should you have an accident, just be sure to shout out the number plate as it may not have recorded it depending on distance and lighting conditions.

Teejaybee. I totally agree with you. If the insurance companies are recommending certain products, then there must be a reason why they are not recommending others. I'll probably end up getting one of the ones with built in GPS and speed monitoring.

If the insurance companies are recommending certain products, then there must be a reason why they are not recommending others.

Money purely money and don't kid yourself there could be another reason. Mike

• 2 weeks later...

I fitted a camera to my RX windscreen (stuck below rear view mirror) a couple of years ago after an accident which ended in a joint claim with the other driver, if I had the camera then it would have proved that he was 100% at fault as the incident would have been filmed. Purchased from Maplins, mine cost £75 but they range from £50 to £150, you get what you pay for. I also have a cheaper one on the rear screen in case someone want to rear end me :-) Also too it on holiday with me recently and used it on my hire car, nothing worse that being accused of causing an accident by a none English speaking foreigner.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links