Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Wheel Balance - Makes All The Difference

Got my wheels checked out for balance and tracking today, and only 6 months since MOT, but car felt scrappy to drive, but nothing to really worry about, but was beginning to wonder if minor front end suspension/bushes issue creeping in.

Turns out tracking was out (but I assume that is down to the craters in Glos that are still being filled in), but the shock was how far the balance was out.

40gram on one tyre.

The problem here seems to be the Lexus is too darned good at covering up the sins of bouncing wheels.

Previous motors of mine only had to by 5 to 10 gram and I would notice, so makes me think better keep a closer eye on things.

On way home tonight, almost as smooth as a baby's bum, apart from the fact that the roads round here are like tank tracks.

Maybe the next gizmo for Lexus to add would be a thing that tells you on the dashboard 'Tyre bouncing like a nutter'.

By the way what's all this with Nitrogen in the tyre!?!?

The nitrogen thing has been going for a few tears now, apparently nitrogen does not alter it mass with temperature so the pressure in the tyre should remain constant over the normal temperature range.

Personally I use normal air because 1 it is generally free and 2 I check my tyre pressures weekly.

I think it's a bit gimicky nitrogen myself.

The nitrogen thing has been going for a few tears now, apparently nitrogen does not alter it mass with temperature so the pressure in the tyre should remain constant over the normal temperature range.

Personally I use normal air because 1 it is generally free and 2 I check my tyre pressures weekly.

Did a bit of reading on the Queensland RAC website.

It implies that aircraft benefit as they have cold tyres (from 35,000ft) that hit the runway and go from 0 to 200mph in an instant, so nitrogen is 'good'.

So I had an idea.

Get the Lexus on a Galaxy C5, come into land and get them to drop me off the tailgate a few feet off the ground, I'll have taken the limiter of the LS and so should be able to keep engine going at 180+mph.

Then if all is fine once I have stopped and tyres are in one piece then I will recommend Nitrogen to any budding stunt LS drivers.

If anyone else feels like trying this, then let me know - saves me having to find a spare weekend!?!?!

It implies that aircraft benefit as they have cold tyres (from 35,000ft) that hit the runway and go from 0 to 200mph in an instant, so nitrogen is 'good'.

So I had an idea.

Get the Lexus on a Galaxy C5, come into land and get them to drop me off the tailgate a few feet off the ground, I'll have taken the limiter of the LS and so should be able to keep engine going at 180+mph.

Then if all is fine once I have stopped and tyres are in one piece then I will recommend Nitrogen to any budding stunt LS drivers.

If anyone else feels like trying this, then let me know - saves me having to find a spare weekend!?!?!

Very funny, Pete. A total anorakish use for nitrogen in car tyres.

So I had an idea.

What flowers would you like? Mike

So I had an idea.

What flowers would you like? Mike

Lupins will be fine - I understand that they are good at fixing the nitrogen (that will come out of the bursting tyres) back into the soil

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links