Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Steering Wheel Movement Motors

I have just bought an LS400 Mk4 and the steering wheel will go in and out but not up and down. I have traced the fault to the motor which has seized and is not reparable. Does anyone know if the motor is common across all models of LS400 as there are some being broken on eBay but not a Mk4.

I have just bought an LS400 Mk4 and the steering wheel will go in and out but not up and down. I have traced the fault to the motor which has seized and is not reparable. Does anyone know if the motor is common across all models of LS400 as there are some being broken on eBay but not a Mk4.

Welcome to the LOC. Cant help with your currant querry but someone will be along soon with more knowledge than myself to help out.

Hi Keynsham 1

Just had a look at the tech spec on the steering column for this car and the motors are not shown as servicable parts or have a part number this is ominous as I think they are built into the mechanism that incorporates all the articulation at the top of the column .I don't remember anyone having this particular problem on any of the models prior to you bringing it to our attention.The possibility of a universal mechanism for previous models is highly likely as the switch and cowls are virtually the same as the mark 1.The fitting of a replacement mechanism is not a job for am Amatuer but if you are a competent mechanic it should be ok.

Update;The workshop manual shows dismantling of telescopic and tilt mechanism as a seperating parts operation it shows the motors as being taken off as the lst part of the excersice but only after the whole mechanism as been taken to the bench.This could mean that the motors are captive whilst in situ on the car ,hopefully if this is not the case you could buy a second hand tilt and telescopic from a breaker and just swap motors.

I have this prob on my 99 model go to Lexus forums usa , if i remember right.

I never got around to it, as the missus drives it and mine works fine,ps landcruiser use the parts at half the price.

I have looked at pictures on eBay of steering columns for sale. The earlier cars are different to the Mk4. The motor is removable and can be disassembled as I have already done this. It is a strange motor as the armature is a flat disc with a disc of magnets sitting on top. All the parts look good but when assembled it turns about 10 degrees and stops. I can't see what is wrong with it so a replacement is probably the quickest option.

I have this prob on my 99 model go to Lexus forums usa , if i remember right.

I never got around to it, as the missus drives it and mine works fine,ps landcruiser use the parts at half the price.

Earlier cars look like the picture below

attachicon.gifIMG_4479_zpsc6d033d3.jpg

The Mk4 is different to this.

@Keynsham1- I cannot help you with your problem unfortunately,but wish you every success in your endeavour,to effect a repair-or replacement,I want to comment though,having an Engineering background,I've never ceased to be impressed,at the the high quality of workmanship, in these cars-clearly evident from the photograph of your steering column assembly, they just don't make 'em like that anymore!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links