Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

How Many Revs Are You Doing At 70Mph?

Hi Rudy,

not sure what the revs are at 70MPH but according to my satnav 60MPH is exactly 2000RPM, (the speedo reads 63 though).

Steve.

Hi Steve.

Thanks for that. Maybe I'm imagining things then.

I'm also around 2000 at 60mph. Just under 2000 to be precise.

However, when doing a steady 60mph and manually selecting 4th gear, shows no change in revs......

Well I couldn't pass up the opportunity, just had a 25 mile round trip and my Tachograph shows a fraction over 2000 rpm at 70

Is it me or does the car feel just that little bit nicer to drive when it's just been polished ? LoL

Hi Rudd

Drive is overdrive and fourth is just under direct drive ratio ,it is seamless in changing up on the Mark 4 if you are driving all the time in D. You will notice the change up if you leave the car in 4th from a standing start and then change up to D with the stick, if it does not drop the revs it is not going into overdrive.

Hi Rudd

Drive is overdrive and fourth is just under direct drive ratio ,it is seamless in changing up on the Mark 4 if you are driving all the time in D. You will notice the change up if you leave the car in 4th from a standing start and then change up to D with the stick, if it does not drop the revs it is not going into overdrive.

but why doesn't it go up in revs when selecting 4th manually? and that is after driving at 70 steady for a while

I have also noticed that it won't shift into 2nd manually , 3rd works fine. I use the manual shifts as I need to go downhill to get home and there's a 30mph limit. Leaving it in drive it will roll upto 50mph. and I don't want to step on the brakes all the time.

does it go thro the gears manually if you start in ist,when you get to 4 you have to push the lever to

the left to get the overdrive if you start in park and put it in d it does it automatically,but does'nt in the manual,im sure you know this,but if you

try the above you can check the gears,prob computer won't let you go into 2nd

but if you use the manual you may not be pushing lever across in drive

does it go thro the gears manually if you start in ist,when you get to 4 you have to push the lever to

the left to get the overdrive if you start in park and put it in d it does it automatically,but does'nt in the manual,im sure you know this,but if you

try the above you can check the gears,prob computer won't let you go into 2nd

but if you use the manual you may not be pushing lever across in drive

I'll try that this afternoon and report back

If I remember correctly the 2nd gear down shift cannot be achieved manually when the car is travelling at a certain speed ,this is to stop you putting the car into a lock up on the drivetrain the reason the staggered gate was eventually fitted from the stright gate on the Mark 1 was because drivers were inadvertently slamming into 2nd gear at 80 mph.

If you are not getting a rev upwards when coming out of drive to 4th you are not in 5 th gear in the first place.

There maybe a sticking solenoid ,get it checked on the code reader.

Update; Overdrive will not be achieved even if the D position on the gear lever is shown thus, if the engine coolant temprature is low ,which means if the engine as not warmed up the car will stay in fourth gear.You cannot manually change down to 2nd gear if the car is travelling at more than 65mph.

If I remember correctly the 2nd gear down shift cannot be achieved manually when the car is travelling at a certain speed ,this is to stop you putting the car into a lock up on the drivetrain the reason the staggered gate was eventually fitted from the stright gate on the Mark 1 was because drivers were inadvertently slamming into 2nd gear at 80 mph.

If you are not getting a rev upwards when coming out of drive to 4th you are not in 5 th gear in the first place.

There maybe a sticking solenoid ,get it checked on the code reader.

Update; Overdrive will not be achieved even if the D position on the gear lever is shown thus, if the engine coolant temprature is low ,which means if the engine as not warmed up the car will stay in fourth gear.You cannot manually change down to 2nd gear if the car is travelling at more than 65mph.

I can't change down to 2nd gear when travelling 40 or even 30mph. I also have quite jerky gear changes when putting my foot down. Under normal acceleration I don't even feel the gear changes.

Maybe I'll try the ECU reset, see if that helps.

Mine is just around 2k rpm at 70. Perfect for the car. Cruises along and very eco too!

Mine is 2k at 60mph, but yours is a 430.

I think I'm at 22-2300 at 70

Hi Rudy,

not sure what the revs are at 70MPH but according to my satnav 60MPH is exactly 2000RPM, (the speedo reads 63 though).

Steve.

Hi Steve.

However, when doing a steady 60mph and manually selecting 4th gear, shows no change in revs......

Hi Rudy

I took out my LS 400 Mk 4 and these are my findings:

70 mph = 2080 rpm

2,000 rpm = 66 mph

I hope this helps

Pepe

Hi Rudy,

Steve.

Hi Steve.

Hi Rudy

I took out my LS 400 Mk 4 and these are my findings:

70 mph = 2080 rpm

2,000 rpm = 66 mph

I hope this helps

Pepe

Thanks for that pepe. Much appreciated.

It seems I am doing more revs at both speeds. So I reckon 5th gear is not being selected.

Hi Rudy

The reason being is that it is not an engine problem and therefore not under the engine light management system or fault coding, the gearbox does have its own fault code system but only in a recorded format.

It sounds like you do have some issues with the gearbox but because it as not completely failed or gone into survival mode it is as I first suspected probably a solenoid issue.

I hope it is and will show up on the Lexus diagnostic tool .Take it to Lexus to get a true determination of the cause.

• Like 1

I don't think I will take it to Lexus - God knows what they charge for read out!

Does the VCI Interface not also reads gearbox codes?

I took my Mk2 to Lexus Glasgow years ago, they quoted £1000 to sort the brakes, I declined over the phone, and they still washed it for me before I picked it up. I'm sure they would check all codes and quote for repair for free

I don't think I will take it to Lexus - God knows what they charge for read out!

Does the VCI Interface not also reads gearbox codes?

I took my Mk2 to Lexus Glasgow years ago, they quoted £1000 to sort the brakes, I declined over the phone, and they still washed it for me before I picked it up. I'm sure they would check all codes and quote for repair for free

aye but the thing is - will they give me the codes for free?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links