Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Service By Un Franchised Dealer And Extended Warranty...

Place I am looking to buy an isf from have stated the car will come with a new service. The car has extended warranty on it. If they ( un franchised ) carry out the service, will this void existing warranty and prevent me being able to extend it?

Stu

Hi Stu,

I am also on the lookout for an IS-F, but won't be in a position to do anything for another 3 weeks unfortunately.

I have also made a few enquiries about this car, including a check with Lexus on the servicing records.

Apparently the last service they have on record was back in 2010, and was the 20K mile service.

Guessing the 30K and 40K services have been done by an indy? Be good to know if the current service needed is the 50K (and has been missed by 1K miles already), or if it's the big 60K service? Can't see why it wouldn't be the 50K to be honest.

I had a quote for £339 inc VAT, parts & labour for the 50K service by Lexus Canterbury (will be the dealer I use nearest to me).

The fact this car doesn't have a full Lexus service history, could be an issue in terms of re-sale/value.

I know from reading through threads on here that most owners have taken their cars to Lexus throughout their ownership.

Might be an issue worth thinking about?

Be good to know how you get on if you don't mind sharing?

Thanks.

Peter

Hmmm ok. Not sure how it has valid extended warranty if not serviced by lexus at every interval? Any ideas about that?

No issues with divulging any info if I go ahead with the purchase.

Stu

It's a warranty plan as opposed to a servicing agreement I would imagine? What that means is the car can still be warranted for failures that don't involve the usual servicing items and consumables, even if it hasn't been serviced by Lexus.

Just my take on how to interpret it.

Would be useful to know who did the 30K and 40K mile servicing if you don't buy it. Just saves me asking the same things when I am in a position to buy it.

Thanks.

Peter

i think warranty is no longer allowed to demand main dealer work, but the Indy must document what they did. id be a little nervous about something without a good service history and MY preference would be main dealer. A non main dealer simply gives you something to barter with! If its missed a service by a while id be careful. That tends to indicate it wasn't cherished. There will be one along soon enough that was cherished...

Hey Stu,

Just so you know, I've emailed back the guy I'm dealing with at Lexus Canterbury, regarding the 30K & 40K mile services being done by Lexus dealers.

I've asked him how you, me, or whoever buys that car, would go about getting the Lexus Dealer Network history completed. Hopefully it's just a case of contacting those two dealerships, and asking them to add the services to the database.

Pretty poor that approved Lexus dealers haven't kept the records in check on such a high performance car!

Will let you know what they come back with.

Cheers.

Peter

I had a quote for £339 inc VAT, parts & labour for the 50K service by Lexus Canterbury (will be the dealer I use nearest to me).

50K is a minor that sounds a little steep. My 70K was £240 at Wolverhampton and the 80K major was only £350 IIRC.

Interesting.

I thought that was quite a reasonable quote compared to what I got from the Sidcup dealer!

Sidcup quoted me 50K service for £461 incl VAT, parts & labour, and for the 60K, they wanted £948 incl VAT, parts & labour!!!

Canterbury quoted as follows (all inc VAT, parts & labour):

40K - £568.32

50K - £339

60K - £878.26

70K - £339

80K - 568.32

90K - £339

So just between the two dealers I made enquiries with, it's £122 cheaper for the 50K service, and £70 cheaper for the 60K service.

Sounds like you got some good prices when you did your services.

Trouble is it's not worth a day of my wages to get it to somewhere miles away (especially with petrol on top).

north south divide maybe? Sidcup especially being more or less in London. somewhere else on here i read Canterbury dont regularly service any other isf, but Sidcup do. Might have made that up. Not looking forward to the sixty grand one!

Makes sense for the dealerships! Not for us owners (soon to be owners!).

Think I'll give Canterbury a go. They've been the most helpful and receptive so far.

No saving if it costs the difference or more in extra petrol!!

60K does seem a lot! Lucky it's not that every 10K! Then again, that's probably what it's like with the GTR!!

aren't c63 brake discs something crazy like a grand a set at the front? As the used prices drop more people can afford to buy, but maybe not run it properly. Those of us who keep to main stealer services, on time, then hopefully our cars will retain their value and be saleable. busy day on the forum today, almost like all 200 owners have been on here!

I think cars like this need main dealer service history. I won't be taking mine anywhere else. My closest dealer is 30 miles away though :0(

Ultimately this is a 50-60 k performance car. Running costs will never be cheap but are cheaper than bmw, merc and audi etc

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links