Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Anything I Should Be Worried About?

Hi Guys,

So the ISF I am looking to buy is this one:

http://www.prestigecarsltd.com/lexus-is-f-5.0-v8-is-f-auto-in-windlesham-surrey-3301146

I'm heading over tomorrow with a deposit.

Regarding the mileage, the car has low miles at just over 40K on the clock.

The dealer has since broken down the servicing by Lexus as follows:

10,416 (10/11/08)

22,274 (02/07/09)

37,387 (05/07/12)

41,318 (12/06/13)

Looks like it hardly did any miles at all between 2009 and 2010 (hence the 3yr gap in the servicing!).

The gaps aren't consistent either, as I thought it was meant to be every 10K miles or annually??

Would anyone see this as a problem? I'm not overly concerned as long as it all check out in the flesh tomorrow, but wanted some opinions from you guys.

I'm looking at paying £20K, plus £490 for a years road tax (doesn't have any at the moment!).

Thanks.

Peter :)

it did 15000 miles between services over a three year period. That conflicts with website that says its been done in accordance with schedule. id be wary about buying a performance car with a hole in the schedule. but if you can get a good deal then that's up to you. check papers, maybe it was serviced. Never trust a garage re paperwork

i paid only a fraction more than that for 45k miles, full Lexus history AND still in warranty.

so Imo 20k is too much, esp re above.

Maybe a AA or RAC check first? Not always spot on but couldn't hurt? Also, how many owners? I get every car I buy services ASAP so may coincide with change if ownership. 3 years is a long time though and you would be taking a punt that when you service it all is well.

As I said to you. I paid 18.5 for slightly younger, 10k more miles and with some warranty remaining. I think its too much fella.

You will do well to get £2k knocked off the screen price. That said, according to the info you have (worth checking with Lexus) the car has missed two services - nothing between July 2009 and July 2012.

Ultimately it's down to what you're willing to pay and how the car checks out, but that is a big gap if the information you have been given turns out to be accurate. As a slight aside, my car only had 3000 miles between four of its services because the guy who owned it for four years hardly used it but still serviced it at the 12 month point.

Either way, good luck with the purchase mate.

At that price everything should be spot on, and to be blunt, on this car, it isn't.

In your shoes I'd be looking at either main dealer with proper history and warranty, or private, again with cast iron history, and preferably still with some Lexus warranty remaining.

Regarding the low mileage, the car might have been used for short trips only, in which case oil change is even more crucial..

Thanks guys. :)

Stu - The car has only had one owner from new (a woman as detailed in the advert).

Keith - the dealer has already confirmed he will take £20K for the car. Maybe this is the reason why?

I'm still going to go and have a look at the car tomorrow, but if there is no paperwork or service records for the 3yrs in question, I'll probably walk away.

The dealer will also need to change his ad, as it's not correct.

I'm quite surprised Lexus didn't say anything when the car was serviced in 2012. Surely they would have wondered why there was a 3yr gap in the service records??

I'll give Lexus Canterbury a call tomorrow morning as well to see what they can tell me about it.

Might be back to the drawing board for me. :(

whilst there aren't many for sale at any time, there is a steady turn over of them. Be patient, you don't have to buy this car.

having said that there could be a good explanation, so go along but keep your wits about you. .

Just found another service at 32,407 on 14/06/2011. Did a vehicle check that gives mileage reports that were from Lexus at the same time as they serviced it.

The 2009,2012, and 2013 services were all on there as well.

Just 2010 missing now. Hopefully Lexus or the dealer can clear that up tomorrow.

So I headed over this morning with the wife (she secretly took a day off to come with me bless her), and the car looked spot on. Few scuffs and marks, but nothing unexpected for a 5yr old car.

The 2011 service was in the book, just missing one for 2010. Looks like the one lady owner may have thought it was 10K between services, as opposed to 10K or every year.

Given it's been 3yrs since then with Lexus servicing it in 2011,2012 and 2013, I'm happy it's not done any major harm.

Pleased to report I've left my deposit, and will be heading back on the 16th to settle up the balance. :)

Loved how it drove. Just as good as when I tested one at launch back in 2008, and said "one day I'll buy one of these".

Dealer is getting the tax sorted this week for me as well (paid him the extra £490 to get it done).

Roll on Monday week!! ;)

Cheers.

Pete

Absolutely brilliant! Given the circumstances with the service history I think you've made the right decision. The car looks fantastic (I really like that colour!) and the fact that it's been serviced many times since makes a big difference. And let's face it, this is one of the most reliable cars on the road, so I don't think it will have done any long term damage whatsoever.

Look forward to the piccies and congrats on a good (the best) choice of performance saloon!

If you need seats worked on I'll be able to give some ideas on this early next year. My seats are good but very minor wear I am going to get sorted . Will be mint once this is done.

Sounds good. Think mine are pretty good from what I can remember, did have some creasing in the side bolsters on the base of the drivers seat, but I've got a leather care kit that might be up to the job.

Let me know how you get on though fella.

Cheers.

Pete :)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links