Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Possible Is200 Replacement...

Afternoon people...

Ive been thinking of changing cars over the last few weeks... i do love my IS200 but i'm also never happy ;-)

I was looking at possibly getting a BMW 330CI or something similar, it would be an 03-04 or so... money dependant...

Has anyone here had one, any advice... would it be worth moving to a BMW or staying with my Lexus?

As you can see from the pic, shes a lovely car ;-)

post-44971-0-86097200-1389279706_thumb.j

most suffer cooling problems. same issue I had with my 520i and that was the 2.2litre 6 cylinder. had to replace rad, few weeks later head gasket, few months later water pump. and eventually got rid as I wasn't enjoying driving it with cooling parts failing. so long as you replace the coolingparts which are notorious to fail then you wont have any issues or more buy with warranty or get like an RAC breakdown and repair warranty.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=914109

if its power you want then get a 3.0 Audi A4 if you want German or IS300 if you want Japanese.. as those are quite close to the 330 in performance terms IS300 more reliable mechanically.

• Like 1

don't be put off they nice cars as my mate has one in 330Ci coupe version. but you cannot take them for granted. I heard the 2 litre 4 cylinders don't suffer from this so if its a BM you fancy then you can opt for those models.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201401090897239/sort/default/usedcars/transmission/manual/maximum-age/up_to_10_years_old/postcode/mk160ay/fuel-type/petrol/model/3_series/body-type/saloon/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/page/1/radius/200/make/bmw/engine-size-cars/2l_to_2-5l?logcode=p

yeh auto's are addictive once you have driven one. most automatics are more economical than manual versions these days. there should be a real reason for wanting to change? maybe you bored of the IS lol

I do like the look of the BMW 330CI, specifically the Ci...

But to be honest i dont have a massive reason to change, i get bored easily in general so maybe thats it..

Maybe ill wrap my IS200 in orange or something for fun lol

same here I get bored easily as well and normally keep a car 2 or 3 years then am on to another. the 330 Ci look aggressive mainly the M Sport ones. to be honest am also considering a replacement. got Honda/ Subaru on my sights something more econo but I enjoy the 300 even though its quite juicy, cant get my self to put it up for sale lol..

Doesn't matter if its petrol or diesel.

The VW wouldn't be for me, comfort is good and I'd like it to look aggressive, sporty as such.

I suppose that's what appeals in the IS200, looks good, comfortable and bang for you buck.

If you can afford the garage bills go for it. Im thinking 3 series is a good option from what you said and are cheap for sure. 320, 323, 325. 330's a bit more. If you get a 3 series i bet you'll get bored of it quicker lol

I do like the look of the car..

Are they unreliable then or just expensive all the time? So far in 18 months of having my lexus I've serviced it and had an MOT but nothing has gone wrong that all. Touch wood ;-)

They're like any car, find a well maintained one you won't have a problem. Buy a lemon that's been thrashed, you're gonna have probs :lol:

I had an awful time with BMW but then it put that down to me buying a bad one. It wouldn't put me off getting another Beemer but I'd prob go for a 5 series

not quite Chris.. if a car has a common problem from factory then regardless of how its maintained, the common problem will arise at some stage!! one can service it at the dealers and drive it like miss Daisy without trashing it and the common problem still crops...how many times have we heard IS220d owners mention about their head gasket failing on their full dealer service history Lexus's ??

BMW's are solid cars JP Wilson but like any other car they also do have their common problems. best to register on bmw forums and ask the guys on there what to watch out for when buying a high miler model.. of course being a premium brand, parts wont be cheap same as Lexus.

owned one and cant stress anymore on the common cooling problems. get one with warranty or replace all cooling system. also includes their VVT-i version called Vanos the seals are known to go on these aswell.

http://www.autoevolution.com/bmw-blog/tips-on-what-to-look-for-when-buying-a-bmw-e46-58276.html

https://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/index.php/BMW_E46#How_durable_or_reliable_is_the_E46.3F_Is_it_expensive_to_own.3F

All I meant was if you buy a well maintained one with good history and evidence of problems being fixed as they arose then you lessen the risk of getting problems. Buying a used car is always a risk of course.

But the IS isn't free of it's common proms such as sticky callipers, lower ball joints, leaky boots just to a name a few but JP hasn't suffered with these probs as he bought a well maintained car. That's what I was trying to say :)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links