Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is220D Smoke, Oil And Water Issues

Badger1966

Hi all,

Firstly I would like to say how great it is here! Fantastic info, I have learned alot indeed.
Well I've just got my self an IS220D SE, actually got it on 23rd December 2013.The car is 2007 with 130k miles but one owner and full Lexus history up to date. The car had an entirely new engine fitted at 98000 miles in may 2012 and as such I thought I would be safe from the known engine issues. But I'm not so sure I am safe! So I will explain my situation. I have never owned a Lexus before and was more than happy with the test drive. Compared to my old Rover 75 deisel it was
amazing, lol. But as with all my cars I put a high flow air filter in so the engine can breath more effeciently.

So I got a K&N air filter and fitted it. The filter I took out was so dirty you would not beleive it! I even had to hoover out the air box as there was so much crap in it. The difference was amazing, it felt like I just bolted another 50 horses on. I was amazed to say the least :D

Well, this was two weeks ago. And the engine feels much better again. Much smoother and pulls better. But I have noticed my fuel consumption has gone down. It was around 31 mpg now is hovering around mid 29mpg. I did take the Battery out so maybe the computer is sorting it self out? I don't know. I always use Millers diesel additive as well. The car is still smoking, it only seems to smoke when I am at idle almost exactly 3 miles from my place of work, on my way home, in the traffic at the same set of traffic lights. Never smokes on my way into work. The smoke seems to vary in colour, whiteish to greyish to blueish to brownish and not in that order. It lasts for approx 1 min. Then clears before, or as I drive away. A few days ago I was on the motorway for a short time. I think I was in 2nd gear and I floored it, took of really quick and then it stopped accelerating for a moment and then accelerated again. It was like I took my foot off the accelerator momentarily. Very odd and very disconcerting. Now at the time I cleaned the EGR I checked the oil, it was half way between the high and low markes. Today I checked it and it is only just on the bottom of the dip stick :o And I checked the water and it was well below the minimum :o :o

I'm thinking this is all adding up to bad news indeed. But I don't understand it having problems on a replacement engine thats only done 32k miles.

Well thanks for reading, and I appreciate any comments and feedback. I am booking it into Lexus next week as it's a little overdue for a basic oil and filter service (£208 :crybaby: ) Is there anything I should be asking them?

P.S. After I disconnected the Battery, only my drivers window works. Any one have a solution?

Thanks again.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links