Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

2012 Gs250 - Which Oil 0W20 Or 0W30?

Simple one really - which grade is it for the GS250 - I think its the latter - can anyone confirm.

Also gutted to learn that the GS250 has been dropped after only a few years - the boot space compared to the hybrids is what swung it for me - but the quoted mpg on the new gs300h looks impressive

I think it's 5w30, but not 100% sure.

I too am a bit gutted, but whilst the economy looks OK the performance isn't - 0-60 in over 9 seconds is way too slow in my book, and all those batteries in the boot - haven't driven one yet - but surely a luxury car should have 6 cylinders?? There aren't many naturally aspirated 6 Cyl (or 8 cal) petrol cars out there any more. I think the GS250 will be one of the last....

I think it's 5w30, but not 100% sure.

I too am a bit gutted, but whilst the economy looks OK the performance isn't - 0-60 in over 9 seconds is way too slow in my book, and all those batteries in the boot - haven't driven one yet - but surely a luxury car should have 6 cylinders?? There aren't many naturally aspirated 6 Cyl (or 8 cal) petrol cars out there any more. I think the GS250 will be one of the last....

Book said 0w30 so went for that - was a bit dissapointed to see that lexus leicester who stamped the book at 12,000 miles for a service just before we bought it, clearly hadnt changed the oil as the car now only has 20,000 8 months later and the oil was filthy as was the filter and was never 8000 miles - the car has not been driven hard as the wife uses it.

I think the gs300h is still a 6 cylinder 2.5 petrol mated with an electric - I might swing in next weekend and get a test drive - the boot doesnt look as small as the 2012 gs430h. not sure I can justify the extra ill need to put in to upgrade it though.

Parts availablility and resale is a bit of a worry now - but they dont tend to go wrong so fingers crossed, ill be ok for 10 years!

The gs300h is a 4 cyl (!) 2.5 litre Atkinson cycle engine, same as the is300h if I'm not mistaken. I love my GS 250, the smooth syrupy drive is absolutely wonderful, the car just floats about. Performance is adequate for a big car, but the GS300h is slower to 60, the slightly better torque might help a bit

we went in to buy a ct200h but it was too ugly - and ended up with the gs - managed to get a 12,000 mile 1 year old with mark levinson and the big screen for 27k - was an ex-demonstrator. I tend to run my cars until they start beconing unreliable - my own car , a celica mk7, I bought on 20,000 and it now has 220,000 - its nearing the end of its life but its just too reliable still other than burning a lot of oil.

I was a bit dissapointed to see that lexus leicester who stamped the book at 12,000 miles for a service just before we bought it, clearly hadnt changed the oil as the car now only has 20,000 8 months later and the oil was filthy as was the filter and was never 8000 miles - the car has not been driven hard as the wife uses it.

The oli will be 'filthy' long before 8,000 miles.

• Like 1

Oil tends to become filthy after a relatively short while as blow by gasses (gasses that pass the piston rings) go into the sump and contaminate the oil (along with very small amounts of fuel vapor from the combustion process). 1 of the reasons why the oil becomes black and not the nice treacle colour that goes in!

• Like 1

I was a bit dissapointed to see that lexus leicester who stamped the book at 12,000 miles for a service just before we bought it, clearly hadnt changed the oil as the car now only has 20,000 8 months later and the oil was filthy as was the filter and was never 8000 miles - the car has not been driven hard as the wife uses it.

The oli will be 'filthy' long before 8,000 miles.

Ive been servicing cars for almost 20 years, I work alongside mechanics who are coming upto retirement age and they also agreed. I know what oil from a car that has been serviced less than 10,000 miles ago looks like. This hadnt been serviced in the last 8000 miles

Have you discussed this with the dealer? You seem very experienced so I am a little surprised that you didn't notice the oil when you purchased the car. With your background did you not check the car handbook for the recommended oil?

Regarding parts availability, manufacturers are required to ensure parts availability for several years from when production stops.

Have you discussed this with the dealer? You seem very experienced so I am a little surprised that you didn't notice the oil when you purchased the car. With your background did you not check the car handbook for the recommended oil?

Regarding parts availability, manufacturers are required to ensure parts availability for several years from when production stops.

mentioned it to them but not a lot they can do now, was bought in to lexus birmingham from lexus leicester for us.

When I buy a car I normally bring it to the garage and give it a proper once over beforehand, on this car with it being so new and coming as a dealership only car I stupidly didnt even open the bonnet until it came to servicing it.

Will do another change in a few thousand miles so hopefully clear out anything left behind

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links