Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

i parked my 00 reg Ls400 up for a day or two went to move it and to my suprise it started and sounded like a tractor, very rough and coggy from the left hand side , restarted still the same , Lexus reliability is starting to ***** me off both cars of the road , other one TPS and Trottle control motor .

it sound mechanical , ANY IDEAS was running o k ,in every day use until this.

no, it's not that ..... I have had this happen twice to me in 11 years of Ls400 ownership. For some unknown reason, at any time of the day, from cold, the engine started with an excruciating 'orrible noise but THEN after immediately stopping, leaving to rest for a few minutes, everything was back to the usual sweetness.

Put it down to the gremlins living in Kent :whistling:

Malc

• Like 1

Engines with hydraulic tappets sometimes start with a rattle if they are worn and the oil is draining

out of them, or during start up until the oil pressure builds up.

Make sure your oil and filter are spot on, no old sludgy oil etc.

• Like 1

Martin, It sounds like a problem with the VVT-i to me. Does your engine light come on? It could well be you need to replace the Oil Control Valves (Solenoids) x2. Also, there is a little known filter under the cam cover that could get blocked up and stop the oil feed to the controllers, but with regular oil changes this is unlikely. Replacing the OCV's is quite do-able, they are fairly easy to get to according to tutorial pictures on the Lexus Owners Club U.S. site. People on there described the exact same symptoms your car has. Hope this helps. By the way, our cars DON'T have hydraulic tappets.

• 2 weeks later...

Martin, It sounds like a problem with the VVT-i to me. Does your engine light come on? It could well be you need to replace the Oil Control Valves (Solenoids) x2. Also, there is a little known filter under the cam cover that could get blocked up and stop the oil feed to the controllers, but with regular oil changes this is unlikely. Replacing the OCV's is quite do-able, they are fairly easy to get to according to tutorial pictures on the Lexus Owners Club U.S. site. People on there described the exact same symptoms your car has. Hope this helps. By the way, our cars DON'T have hydraulic tappets.

The V S C LIGHT IS ON , HAVENT HAD TIME TO LOOK AT IT LATLY , BUT STARTED IT TODAY NOISY AS HELL , IS THERE ANY POSTS ON THIS YOU CAN POINT ME TO.

THANKS

Sorry about last post small keyboard big fingers!! Just read this post.used to get this symtom when I worked at main dealers especially on ls 400 if not started or started and stopped straight away suspected a bit of bore wash and pistons would rattle for a bit we just let them idle for a bit and let them warm up and noise would go never to return .didn't really have many probs with vvti on ls if service d r

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links