Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I have a 2007 LS460.

Last week I suffered a tyre blowout after picking up a nail in the sidewall. I popped into my local KwikFit and arranged to have the tyre looked at. Because the damage to the sidewall was excessive I needed a new tyre. There were none in stock so I left the wheel and asked them to give me a call when it was fitted.

The LS460 has a tyre pressure monitoring system (TPMS) which is very clever. The tyre valve stems incorporate a pressure sensor, transmitter and Battery. The transmitter sends a pressure signal to the central computer which, when selected, displays the pressures on the instrument panel. This includes the spare.

When I went to pick up the wheel I noticed that the valve stem looked different. You've guessed it...........KwikFit 'as standard' replace valve stems when they fit a new tyre. I had to get them to root around in their bins to find the old one. Luckily, they found and refitted it: when I dropped the wheel into the boot the TPMS worked perfectly.

These valve stems are not cheap. Each one costs about 200 euro (plus tax) and to fit a new one, balance the wheel then synchronise the new one with the central computer is about another 150 euro.

I hope my experience serves as a warning to others.

• Like 1

Malc,

I owned a 1994 LS400 for 16 years and I know how great they are but..........the LS460 is a whole different machine. It is more expensive to maintain, particularly as you have to get the dealership to hook up their diagnostic tools to get things done properly. However, so far, mine has been totally reliable and the running costs have been minimal.

I think one of the secrets is to make sure that bits don't go astray (eg tyre valves) when you're not looking :shifty:

I s'pose one day I shall have to move away from my Mk3 . ( I have had a Mk1 and Mk2 and been driving Ls400s for 11 years now ).

The Ls430 scares me with the tales on here, so I guess it might be a Ls 460 ........... or maybe a 600 but those hybrid Battery thingys frighten the life out of me with the probable replacement cost.

Hope my " staid " Ls will last a few years yet eh !

Malc

Just remember to mention that the car has tyre pressure sensors when you get tyres changed. And if you're brave enough, you can get the Toyota Techstream software and a mini VCI cable on eBay for about £25. It plugs into the OBD port in the driver's footwell.

I like the thought of one day upgrading to a 460 but all that sophistication costs big £££ if anything goes wrong. I know that being a Lexus not much will go wrong, but, as I'll be on a pension by the time I get around to buying one I'll hold on to my gassed Mk4 as long as possible I think. For a big luxury car they are surprisingly cheap to run. My colleagues at work are always forking out for repairs to their much newer motors.

• Like 1

Brian, my thoughts mirrored ............ I've really never had much financial costs incurred with my Ls400s. They are really one of the least expensive cars to maintain and keep on the road.

On the other hand my partners Mazda 323F ( now 20 yrs old ) always seems to be needing an exhaust section every few years ....... but wow ............. her son-in-law has an ordinary bog standard 05 plate Peugeot diesel estate whatever with 80k miles .... just needed an ECU at £950 and two weeks later the turbo has blown and they want @ £1800 to sort it out !!!

Think I'll stick to my now elderly Mk3 eh ! :outforcount:

Guys,

I fully understand what you're saying and I hope your LS400's last for years. The problem is that ALL modern cars are electronic marvels and, eventually, you will have to take the plunge.

Years ago, I used to enjoy taking the engine of my Triumph Herald to pieces .......then putting it back together, just for the fun of it. There were always bits left over but it didn't seem to stop it running :shifty: Nowadays, as you know, everything is factory sealed and not very user-friendly.

In my opinion, the LS400 is probably one of the last luxury cars that can be substantially worked on by DIY owners. The LS460 has an amazing amount of electronics (to be honest, I think Lexus put some of the features in just because they could) and I have no idea how reliable it will be. I'm putting my faith in the fact that it is a Lexus and that my previous experience of the marque is excellent. One real plus is that the engine now has a timing chain rather than a belt.

If I do have problems, I'll let you know.

Malc,

I used to live in the UK and had a 1994 LS400 which I bought way back in 1997. Like everyone else, I thought the car was fantastic. But in 2012 I moved to Holland. I had lived here for a few months a year for quite a while but when I decided to live here permanently it meant getting rid of the LS400 (getting it through the Dutch registration system was financially prohibitive).

I decided to buy a Lexus here in Holland. As you can imagine the market for the Lexus is very small here and there were very few cars available. I, actually, bought a 2009 RX400h but very quickly realised it was a mistake. It was a nice car.........but it wasn't an LS. So I went looking for one. I had bought the RX from a main dealer and he did me a swap for the 2007 LS460. It only has 45,000 miles on the clock and they gave me a print-out of the service history.

The LS is incredibly rare here.......in fact I can't remember seeing another one. There are quite a few RX's and IS's but that's about it. I did see an LS600h but it was Belgian registered.

Reading the US Lexus Forum, it is worrying how many problems the LS460 has. The air suspension and the front suspension bearings seem to be the main problems.

The fact that the American ones are made in the USA and those for the European market are made in Japan may have a bearing on things. The price of a new LS460 in the USA is around $75,000 which is amazing. I can't help wondering what they have to do to keep the price so low.

There isn't a large database, in the UK, on the LS460 so if anyone here has info I could use, please feel free to pass it on.

However Malc, to go back to your question......the LS430 didn't appeal because I don't really like the shape - but that's just me.

Thanks for that. The Ls460 is rare here too ................ I've not seen many at all. The 600s are even rarer. The 430's, well, maybe seen as many now as the older 400s.

I can imagine that with lower country population levels, although probably less economically challenged, the numbers seen in Holland and Belgium might be rarer still.

A rare breed indeed.

Looks like I shall have to stick to my trusted Mk3 for a long time to come.

BTW, just off ( 3rd March ) for a grand tour of Spain, driving down thru' France and back, spending March and maybe early April primarily touring Spain ...... never been there before, an adventure ............ don't doubt my trusted steed will do the honours in the usual fashion too.

Malc

Malc,

That sounds like a great adventure. I think the Lexus is at its best as a long range cruiser.

I'm sure you've done your homework as far as driving regs in France and Spain is concerned. I've driven in France a lot and the French police like to stop cars with non-French plates.......particularly British.

They love to check if you have things like spare bulbs and alcohol testing kits. The AA/RAC websites have got lots of good info on what is required.

That aside, they are both beautiful countries.......have a great trip.

Thank you, I shall endeavour too.

The French rules seem to have changed ........ spare light bulbs don't seem to be compulsory, maybe coz with many cars one just can't change bulbs simply these days.............. And the breathalyser thingy has been abandoned too so I read.

And in Spain it's only Spanish regd. cars that have to have two warning triangles BUT if you break down and need one, you are fined ( if British ) if you only have one and not two ! :outforcount:

And for Grand Touring at its best.

We drove 2888 miles in 15 days in September 2012, just touring Scotland ( there and back from Kent ).

Twas brilliant and the car, of course, performed effortlessly ........... as one would expect.

These really are Grand Touring cars

Malc

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links