Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Only had one key with my car and am looking at getting an additional one.

First question is can this only be done at the main dealers, and if so any idea how much.

second question is can an independent company successfully do this and if so what is their price likely to be?

thanks in advance for any answers

Hi, I asked the dealer for a spare key and they said £250 + VAT.

I did however get a used one off eBay for £30 and tried my dealer to see if they can programme it for me...the answer was no!!

I called around a few independent locksmith who say they can do it for sure and the process is that you have at least one working key, then they uninstall all keys from the ECU system and then reinstall all keys back in a cycle. The prices were varied from £70 - £150 in London.

I have yet not done this so if you get any luck please let me know.

You need the dealer edition or locksmith edition of the Lexus techstream system to program keys, which is so expensive to buy, that realistically, it's dealer only.

You also need a *brand new* key. Once a key has been programmed, it can never be reprogrammed to another car.

If you get a key off eBay, and it's already been used, you won't know until you get to the dealer and they try to program it, and the car simply won't start; so most dealers will only use their own keys. There are some other forums where people have brought their own keys and convinced dealers to try and program them, and then been left with a 1/2 hour bill for labour after the dealer couldn't do it.

I bought a hacked techstream system off eBay for £30 and it certainly goes through the motions of programming keys - I've not actually tried it for real though, for fear of breaking the car or the keys, but it looks like it would do the job.

• Like 1

Guest bigbullhead

Have you rang Toyotech in salfords Horley as I think my mate lost his memory on his keys and he got them back working so it's worth aking

You need the dealer edition or locksmith edition of the Lexus techstream system to program keys, which is so expensive to buy, that realistically, it's dealer only.

You also need a *brand new* key. Once a key has been programmed, it can never be reprogrammed to another car.

If you get a key off ebay, and it's already been used, you won't know until you get to the dealer and they try to program it, and the car simply won't start; so most dealers will only use their own keys. There are some other forums where people have brought their own keys and convinced dealers to try and program them, and then been left with a 1/2 hour bill for labour after the dealer couldn't do it.

I bought a hacked techstream system off ebay for £30 and it certainly goes through the motions of programming keys - I've not actually tried it for real though, for fear of breaking the car or the keys, but it looks like it would do the job.

I've just used hacked Techstream to reprogram a key to my car but not one that had been used on another car (as far as I know). The key came with the car so I assume it's the original spare, works now anyway. Which version are you using Mark?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links