Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Flood Damage

dmi

Well, my 8 week old ct200 spent max 15 minutes in a flooded car park, water up to just below half way on the wheels., until I rescued it.

A bit of water had found its way inside under the seats.

I took it in for what I thought would be a good valet and maybe new carpets. Driving perfectly ok, all electrics appearing fine. I find out on Friday it's an insurance write off! Thank god for insurance who are replacing brand new, like for like.

Got to say though it has me worried about driving through any biggish puddles etc if this can happen. I noticed when I took delivery how low the car sits, but I assumed it would be water tight. Be warned!

Thanks for the heads up!!

I'm pleased that they are replacing with a new one but did they explain what the main reason for the write off was?

If everything seemed OK electrically and the car drove OK then it must have come as a bit of a suprise to learn of the write off!! I wonder if the Battery had been compromised?

I've just had a look at mine and, yes, the lower door seals do seem to sit quite low, my wife's MGZR must be a good 4" higher off the ground!!

Have any other CT owners had any experiences of driving though flooded roads??

Hope the replacement arrives soon!!

Yes. A big shock. I could hear some water swishing around as I drove away but I assumed that it was just in the chassis and would drain out. The water was nowhere near high enough for the Battery I would say and the rear area inside seemed totally dry.

I was a bit disappointed water got in on such a new car , in such a short time in water which was really only a few inches deep. If I'd driven in the canal I could have understood it!

The damage quoted was the wiring loom? or something like that. I'm not mechanically minded. 10000 plus vat but insurers were worried it might be the tip of the iceberg so have decided to buy me a brand new car.

I honestly think it would have just dried out, but I'm obviously happy I'm getting a new one. It would be a good salvage car though for someone to take a bit of a risk on I'd say.

Thanks for the info... the wiring loom!! - But I suppose it is a concern.

Just out of interest were you insured through Lexus insurance?

So far I am very pleased with my CT and have just returned from a week's holiday touring Herefordshire.

I am begining to feel very much at home in the car after driving conventional gearbox cars for more years than I care to say!

Comfortable, economical, stylish, versatile, compact and different!!!

Robin

No. It's on a works fleet policy.

I thought the same for the first 7 weeks, but I always had that nagging doubt funnily enough about how low it sat more a concern about hitting something going over bumpy terrain. Never thought it would leeK in!

The main problem with flood damaged vehicles is long term issues which may not be apparent for months or even years later.

If water gets trapped in the wiring loom it can get drawn along by capilary action and eventually can exit from the connections at the other end which maybe your hybrid Battery pack,invertor unit or an expensive ECU.

The water will also cause the copper in the wires to oxidise turning into a green powder.

I believe technically the car should be a cat A i.e. crushed shell and never returned to the road but I suspect it will be a Cat B.

If it eventually does get repaired I wouldn't like to buy it even with a marker on the V5.

The main problem with flood damaged vehicles is long term issues which may not be apparent for months or even years later.

If water gets trapped in the wiring loom it can get drawn along by capilary action and eventually can exit from the connections at the other end which maybe your hybrid battery pack,invertor unit or an expensive ECU.

The water will also cause the copper in the wires to oxidise turning into a green powder.

I believe technically the car should be a cat A i.e. crushed shell and never returned to the road but I suspect it will be a Cat B.

If it eventually does get repaired I wouldn't like to buy it even with a marker on the V5.

Steve,

Thanks for the explanation.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links