Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Gearbox Oil Change

I saw a sticker on my gearbox with a date on it reading 02-14 whiles looking under my Is 200 se Manual drive. Considering that my car is an 04 reg, does this mean that I have to change the gear oil after 10 years which coincides with this 02-14 sticker. If not please can anyone tell me how often the gear oil need to be changed on the Is 200 Manual drives. Thank you.

Certianly be a good idea,you don't mention mileage but at 10 years old it would benifit the gearbox and while you're at it change the differential oil at the same time.

If you are DIYing make sure the top up plug for the diff comes out 1st before removing the drain plug, the last thing you want to do is drain the oil and then find the top up plug is seized and you can't get the new oil back in!

Link below provides more information of type of oil required.

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/72782-is200-diff-and-gearbox-oil-change/

Noticed your username, that was the acronmym for the French colour television system :)

The official schedule is to replace the rear differential oil every 20,000 miles or 2 years and inspect the manual transmission oil every 40,000 miles or 4 years.

My IS200--which I've had from new and always serviced myself--is approaching 13 years and 300,000 miles. It's never had the gearbox oil changed or even topped up, and it's still going fine.

The differential oil has been changed 8 times. Initially this was in accordance with the every 20,000 mile schedule and the first change or two did remove some metal filings that were suspended in the oil. For later changes, the oil coming out appeared like new, so I stopped replacing it quite so often. Again, I've had no problems with it at all.

Thanks very much for the information. Please which oil is best for the differential and is this an easy job to do or would have to be done by a garage.

Redline MT90 :) hides some wine

Thanks very much for the information. Please which oil is best for the differential and is this an easy job to do or would have to be done by a garage.

I don't know which oil is best, but I've been happy using Halfords own-brand differential oil (API GL-5 / SAE 80W-90).

It's not a difficult job if you're used to working under cars. You need to raise the rear up (obviously using something secure, such as axle stands rather than just a jack), undo the filler plug with a large allen key, place a container under the differential and undo the drain plug (again using a large allen key), wipe the magnet on the drain plug clean, replace the drain plug with a new washer, pour in the oil, and replace the filler plug (again with a new washer).

The most difficult part is pouring in the new oil due to lack of room above the filler plug. You can buy syringes designed for this that may help. I tend to do it by squeezing the bottle to force the oil out and into the differential. It takes about 1.1 litres before it's full.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links